IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Hello, I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro 650, serial

I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro 650, serial number 6A537421Q laptop from Grays on line Auctions. I believe their protocol is to completely clean the hard drive.

I have a registered version of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 software that i want to load.

When i insert the disk the following message appears:

"No bootable device -- insert boot dosk and press any key".

What other software do I need?

Thank you.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Do you see the message about no bootable device right after you power on the laptop?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is exactly what is displayed:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)

Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.1.9 (12/15/09)

Check cable connection!

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Thanks

Thanks for the detailed message!

It means that there is no Windows installed and asking you to insert a bootable device (Windows installation disc) to reinstall Windows.

Since Toshiba Satellite Pro 650 comes with the Toshiba Recovery feature enabled, you should be able to restore the condition to factory defaults which will automatically reinstall Windows.

Here are the instructions, but this will only work if the recovery partition (used for restoring settings to factory defaults) is still accessible on the hard disk.

1. Press and hold down the POWER button for 10 seconds to completely turn off your laptop

2. Press and hold the 0 (ZERO) key and, at the same time, press the POWER button to power on the laptop

3. When the laptop starts beeping, release the 0 key

4. When prompted to continue, select Yes

5. Select Recovery of Factory Default Software and click Next

6. Select Recover to out-of-box state and click Next

7. Finally, click Next to start the recovery

Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Miro,

I tried your clear instructions 3 times however I only managed to get to step 3.

The computer came up with the original message (as detailed in previous response).

Thanks

I see. This indicates that the hard disk had been fully formatted which deleted everything, including the recovery partition.

You will need to install Windows using an installation disc.

If you are interested in installing Windows 7, but don't have a Windows 7 installation disc, you can get Windows 7 installation disc immediately by downloading it from the Internet using THIS LINK. For this, you will need to use a working computer with Internet connection.

Download is free and legal. Just choose one of the Windows 7 editions listed. Once you have downloaded Windows 7 ISO image, burn it onto a blank DVD using any image burning program, such as Free ISO Burner which can be downloaded HERE.

If you already have a valid license (product key) for Windows 7, use it to register Windows 7 after the installation, otherwise, Windows 7 will run in free trial mode for maximum period of 90 days.

Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Miro, I will try that now.

Once you have the Windows 7 installation disc, you can proceed with the installation.

You only need to insert an installation disc and the computer will start the installation. Follow the-on screen instructions and you will notice that everything is automatized.

When asked to provide a product key, you can skip it (if you don't have it right now).

In case you require additional help, let me know.

Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes there is one thing I didnt mention. The laptop is windows however all of our computers at home are apple! When I go to the link you sent it will not download.

Now?

Since you have Toshiba Satellite Pro 650 laptop, you cannot install Apple operating system on it (Mac OS). You can only install Windows. My recommendation is Windows 7.

There are several Windows 7 editions you can download and install. Which one are you interested in? You can see available editions on the web page I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My apologies Miro for not being clear.

I'm not wanting to install Mac on the laptop, but I am currently using a Mac to communicate with you. So as i attempted to download windows 7os it did not allow it.

It seems that I will have to follow your previous instructions from someone elses windows PC.

Thanks

Oh, I see.

Yes, in that case, you will need to use a Windows computer to fully download and burn the Windows 7 installation files onto a blank DVD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Miro,

I tried all of your advice however I have not managed to load any software onto the machine that keeps coming back with the same message.

The link you gave me in a previous email to a site offering free download of Windows installation files proved difficult to navigate.

I might need to take the laptop to store for a physical inspection.

Thanks anyway. Regards, Chris

Hi again, Chris!

I am sorry the problem is still there. I provided a link to Softpedia web page offering several different Windows 7 editions. There you can choose which to download and then use on your Toshiba laptop.

In case you are having difficulties navigating through the web page, here is a direct download link for Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) - most used Windows 7 edition:

DOWNLOAD

The file is 2.4 GB in size. After you have downloaded it, use Free ISO Burner to burn that Windows 7 image file onto a blank DVD which will then create a fully usable Windows 7 installation disc.

Here is the download link for Free ISO Burner: DOWNLOAD

Once you have burned the disc, insert it to your computer and it will start the Windows 7 installation. Follow the instructions and it should install within 30 minutes.

In case you require further assistance, let me know.

Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Miro.

I believe this is exactly what I have attempted however I cannot confirm until tomorrow when I get into my office where the laptop is.

I will try again and let you know how i get on.

Regards, Chris

No problem.

Just let me know what happens when you click on the download link(s). This time, I provided direct download links so you don't have to visit web pages and locate the download link.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Miro,

I really do struggle with IT as you can see.

Regards, Chris

Don't worry! I am here to help.

Just check the situation tomorrow and let me know what happens. You can post the results here so I can help you further if needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.