IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have 2007 outlook and I want to move the location of the

I have 2007 outlook and I want to move the location of the archived file on to a flash drive and to be able to open the archived file when necessary. the size of the file is 4 gb.
when I open office and click on the archive file I want it to ask me to locate it.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Are you able to open the archive file when it is saved on your computer's hard disk drive?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, when I open outlook there is a selection tab on the left of screen when I click on it I can see the files.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK, that's good.

You cannot move that archive file because it is currently been used by Outlook. Please right-click on the "Archive Folders" and select Close "Archive Folders". This action will only remove (close) the archive file in Outlook.

Now go to the destination folder of the archive file. Locate it and right-click it and select Properties. What is the exact size of the file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The file size is (NNN) NNN-NNNNb. I closed outlook. will that work?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it should work since the Outlook is the only program to be using that archive file. However, to test that, you can move the file from one folder to another. If you can do so, that means no program is currently using that archive file, so I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to move it or copy it to your USB flash disk drive.

Just check free space on your USB flash disk drive and if you can copy any other file on it, you should be able to copy your Outlook archive file the same way.

Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would the size of the file cause problems.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Now when you have mentioned it, I forgot to tell you that size of the file did matter, but only if your USB flash disk drive had been formatted to FAT or FAT32. For NTFS, the size doesn't matter.

For FAT/FAT32 file system architecture, there is a file size limit of 4 GB, so even if you have a 8 GB or 16 GB USB flash drive, you still wouldn't be able to store larger files, such as your Outlook archive file.

To change from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS, you will need to move all files from the USB drive to your computer first and then format it to NTFS. This will delete all files that are currently on the USB flash drive. After the format, put the files back and then you will be able to put your Outlook archive file there as well.

To format the USB drive, double-click the Computer icon and locate the USB drive. Then, right-click it and select Format...

That should help.

Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when I attempt to format the flash drive I only get to choices FAT32 or exFAT

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
In that case, please click on THIS LINK to download a zip file named "usb_format". When downloaded, extract the content of that zip file by right-clicking it and selecting Extract All...

You will see an executable file named usb_format that has no graphic icon. It is a small program you can use to format a removable disk drive. It should offer you NTFS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put the flash drive on a different computer with windows 7 and that format NTFS was an option. I have now formatted the flash drive and started the file move to the flash drive. will I be able to open the archived file in Outlook?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Sure, put the archive file to the USB flash drive and then you can open it in Outlook by clicking File > Open > Outlook Data File...

Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is still transferring. Once that is complete I will attempt to view it in Outlook. If I have problems can I contact you or should I leave this connection open. the process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
No problem. You can always contact me on this question page. It will always be open for you in case you require further assistance.

Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Job complete everything is working fine. Thanks a lot!!!!!!! Lionel

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I am very glad everything is working!

You can now rate my service using the smiley face to confirm that the problem has been resolved.

If you need any other assistance, you can always request me on this link:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-it-miro

Or, you can start a new question with the words "For IT Miro only".

Thanks and have a nice day!

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional