Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have microsoft office 2007 on my laptop. I only use Word.

I have microsoft office 2007 on my laptop. I only use Word. Each time I launch the program, it says it has to "configure" the program, which takes several minutes. Clearly, the entire program resides on my computer. How do I avoid this constant "configuration"??
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7 in your computer?
Also, do you have an older version of MS Office also installed in the same computer where MS Word 2007 is running?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm running Windows 7. don't have an older version of office on the computer. I DO have office 2010, with word. But I prefer to use Word 2007. The problem happens even when Word 2010 isn't running.

Thank you for writing back with that confirmation. Yes, this is basically caused by the presence of the 2 MS Word programs in your computer - Word 2007 and 2010.

Is this only happening with Word 2007 only? What about Word 2010? And what about the other 2007 programs?

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All of the Office 2010 programs open immediately. The only 2007 program installed is Word 2007. It's the only program that has this problem.

Thank you for that confirmation.

Now, to resolve this issue, you need to do the following:
  1. Close ALL MS Office programs, both 2007 and 2010.
  2. Click on Start => All Programs => Accessories => Run
  3. Another way to get the RUN box is to press the windows key then and hold, then press R.
  4. In the RUN box, copy and paste this command:

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

5. Simply select that group of registry key and then paste it in the RUN box.
  6. Here is my screen shot:

7. After pasting, click OK
  8. When you open MS Word 2007, it will no longer reconfigure.

The reason why this happened is because you have 2 MS Word versions in your computer and Word 2007's default behavior is to check its setup environment when it launches. Using the method above, your Word 2007 will then open normally.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess