Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

I have some .DOC files that I use a lot as templates... I have

I have some .DOC files that I use a lot as templates... I have to change a few things in each one and would like to find out if there is a way to put text entry boxes in the .DOC file so I can remember to changed certain things. For instance. The date. The person the doc is being sent to, a few dates (that aren't ones that need updating automatically which I already have setup).

At the same time, is there a way for me to 'lock' a certain part of a document so the formatting is always the same and I dont constantly have to TAB/DELETE to get the spacing right? I am referring to the person whose attention this file is going to. It would include three lines, Name, Address, City/State/Zip.

Hopefully that was enough to answer... I can elaborate if it would help. I can NOT give examples of the forms though. :-/
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

When you say Text entry changes, you mean notes to yourself?

Like Reminders?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I meant I have to manually enter in certain things, like names, addresses, phone #'s. Nothing extreme. I was wondering if there is a way to put a 'box' that allows me to enter data in that box, formatting it correctly.

You know how you can create an Adobe form so when someone else opens the PDF they can TAB through and enter information? Like that. There are parts that will NOT ever change. I would just like to be able to not have to continue to spend 2 minutes on each form formatting it.

I do a lot and it adds up.

Which version of word are you using?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the only real way is to use an actual Text Box Clyde.

to do this

Click the Text Box button, located in the Text group on the Insert tab. From the menu that appears, choose Draw Text Box.
The Draw Text Box option is near the bottom of the menu.

Click where you want one corner of the text box to appear and drag to where you want the opposite corner.
Drawing a text box is similar to drawing a rectangle.

Release the mouse button and then type your text.

This will keep always the same formatting for you.

to lock formatting, You can set Restrict Formatting for the document.

the guide on doing this you can follow here

Click Me

But it is not as restrictive as a PDF is.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Isnt there a way to create a form in a .DOC? That's essentially what I am doing. A text box is a solution, but kind of in the opposite direction. :)

I am looking up info on the Developer tab to create a form... is that the right direction I need to try?

Yes it is

This guide will take you step by step for creating the form Clyde

click Me To View

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!