Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Computer running Windows 8 with MS Office 2010 Professional.

Computer running Windows 8 with MS Office 2010 Professional. This morning after booting up, my name appeared twice on the log in screen. Password XXXXX work on the first but did on the second. When I went to desktop, all MS Office icons and other icons previously there had disappeared. Only a few remain. Libraries folder empty. I found the files under Users/.../my documents, and I found and can run the Office programs using the Tiles screen. But when I do - for example with Outlook - it takes me to a welcome screen and then the configuration wizard as if I have never used it before. Can you help me with what has happened and what I should do to restore everything to yesterday's state?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it appears the windows System files have become corrupted, so I want you to do a System Restore please.

To do this

Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen and type restore point. When the search results appear click on the Settings category.

Now click on the option labeled Create a restore point and you will be brought to the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel.

Click on the System Restore button and you will be presented with the main screen for System Restore. Now click on the Next button and you will be shown a list of available restore points that you can restore.

Select the restore point you wish to restore by left-clicking on the entry once. Use a date when this was working eg: Yesterday

Then click on the Next button at the restore point selection screen. You will now be at a screen asking if you are sure you wish to perform the restore.

Click on the Finish button. System Restore will once again ask if you are sure you wish to continue. If you are sure, please click on the Yes button.

System Restore will now reboot your computer and begin the restore process. Please be patient as this can take quite some time.

When it has complete, tell me please if you still have the problem.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THanks for that. The latest restore point is 4th Sept. I assume that if there are any files I have created since then that I need I should save them to a memory stick...?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, it does not touch your personal files Peter, they will remain on the computer, so no need to back them up.

It only looks at windows system files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I did the restore as suggested but after re-starting and going to the desktop a System Restore window opened to say that the system restore has not completed successfully. Under Details: its says the failure occurred while scanning the file system on drive C:\, that the drive might be corrupt and I might want to try running chkdsk on the disk. Is that advisable and how do I do that?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we are getting to the source of the problem.

Do the following please

Press the windows key + X and choose Command Prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Than if you still have the problem (as this can resolve it) try to run the restore again.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I type in sfc /scannow it says I must be an administrator running a console session to use the sfc utility.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you did not follow this step correctly Peter, I will repeat it.

Choose Command Prompt (Admin)

Not command prompt please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THanks, XXXXX XXXXX that. After running scannow it reports that verification is 100% complete but is now just sitting there wit a flashing cursor (not command prompt) after the word "complete". Hitting return does nothing. Does this mean it is now scanning and I should just leave it for a while (verification took about 20 mins)?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, now you type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried but it isn't letting me type anything, and hitting return does nothing. It is just sitting there with a flashing cursor (like an underscore). Or do I need to close that window and open a new command prompt window?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Close it and open a new command prompt please and then run it.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ran chkdsk, it completed exactly as you had said and I restarted the computer. At some point (either when closing down or starting up, I can't remember) there was a message saying something along the lines of corrupt files having been repaired. However, MS Office is still absent from the desktop and the Libraries folder is still empty. Now when I go to system restore, the only restore point offered is this morning, probably when I started the scan.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, MS Office would have been corrupted along with the Libraries folder.

Can you reinstall Office please Peter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see. Could tell me how I reinstall Office please? Will this mean I lose data or again will this just be the programme itself not the data files?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is just the program itself, not your data files.

Installing depends on how you initially installed it.

Did you et it on a disk? Or where did you purchase it from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought it from Microsoft and should have the disks somewhere, I'll need to look for them now...

By the way, I haven't done a system restore back to this morning before the scan. Please tell me if I should do that (I'll assume not otherwise).

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, as the files were corrupted and are now repaired.

Once you install Office, the computer is then working again at 100%.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have found a disc for Office Professional Plus. On it is written "Backup Disc: not for resale". Is that the one I need and do I just put it in the disc drive? Will I need a product key or some such?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure as I don't really know the disk you have.

But put it in the computer and tell me if you can run the installation please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems to run and I get a window headed "Change your installation of MS Office Professional Plus 2010". I am asked to choose between:

1. adding or removing features

2. Repair

3. Remove

4. Enter product key.

Which would you advise (presumably 2 or 4 - assuming I can find the product key which could be an issue)?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
First choose Repair, as it can reinstall the missing components.

Let me know the results from this please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still when I go into File Explorer the libraries folders are empty, yet they are there in the C:\ drive under Users\....\my documents etc.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you need to copy them to the Libaries folder from c:\drive under Users\....\my documents etc

Just copy and paste them to the Libaries please Peter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks. Just so I understand correctly, in summary my hard disk became corrupted which caused Windows to remove all my personal configurations and revert things pretty much to "factory settings". And having removed the corruption with scandsk and chkdsk I cannot now restore the system to an earlier point, so have to re-establish my configurations manually...?

By the way, thinking of what could have caused the corruption, I noticed last night that there was a Nokia PC Suite window open which would not close before I shut down. I have a Nokia phone and had downloaded the SW at Nokia's recommendation but never used. I don't know why the window had been opened as no-one other than me has cause to use it. Guess I should uninstall the Nokia SW.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Correct,

Also correct as the System restore does not backup your personal configuration.

I would advise to leave the Nokia SW. If it caused problems after installing, it is likely to do the same when uninstalling, so I would advise this. There is no issue leaving it on the computer.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your help. Excellent service (I'll click the icon).

Peter D.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome Peter!

One thing to note, Windows 8 is still very new, so there are still some issues, but it is expected a lot will be resolved with upcoming updates from Microsoft.

If you ever need anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues