toughguy9
toughguy9, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  A Post Graduate in computer science with over 11 years of experience in Data Recovery, Computer Hardware and Software

I get a dialog file when opening an attachment from e-mail

I get a dialog file when opening an attachment from e-mail (Thunderbird) "Your AutoCorrect file ...\AppData\Roaming\Micorsoft\Office\MSO1033.acl could not be saved. The file may be read only or you many not have permission to modify the file."

This happens in Windows 7 and Office 2013 both Excel and Word. Have not tried any of the other office programs yet. I have tried re-installing the software to no avail.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  toughguy9 replied 7 months ago.

toughguy9 :

Hi

toughguy9 :

Thanks for using JustAnswer

toughguy9 :

Can you please try the steps mentioned below and let me know how things go

toughguy9 :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-word/the-error-code-is-your-autocorrect-file/53eef9a7-0c3d-4208-af51-aef47e6e0850

What is the default language set on your computer?

Ensure English (US) is set as the default language.

Try the following steps.

1. Navigate to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office

2. Right-click on the MSO1033.acl file and select Rename then replace ‘.acl’ with ‘.old’ for this file

3. Open Word 2013, click on the round Office Button (at the top left-hand corner) > Word Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options, then click on OK and exit Word (this should re-create the default English acl file which is MSO1033.acl)

toughguy9 :

All the best

toughguy9 :

If the above steps didnt help

toughguy9 :

please try the following steps

toughguy9 :

1. Navigate to C:\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office

2. Create a new folder called archive

3. cut and paste all of your files in the office folder (not folders) and paste into your archive folder

toughguy9 :

Based on your feedback would look for other options

Customer:

I am getting a different error now. A dialog box opens and says "Word cannot open the existing file (Normal.dotm), however the document opens in Read Only , Compatibility mode

toughguy9 :

ok

toughguy9 :

which steps did you try?

toughguy9 :

out of the 2 i gave

Customer:

I am working on your second suggestion right now. Have not yet completed.

toughguy9 :

pls try the second set of steps

toughguy9 :

is your attachment a word doc?

Customer:

Complete and still getting the second dialog box and word opens in compatibility mode

Customer:

attachment is a .docx

toughguy9 :

ok..

toughguy9 :

ok.. that is word doc.. do you have anyother word doc on computer? if so can you try opening it

toughguy9 :

let me know how it opens

Customer:

When I open word I get the error message. Once I open a document off of the computer (not an e-mail attachment) it opens but still is in compatibility mode. Since the attachments open word, it seems to be a problem with WORD.

toughguy9 :

Hi

toughguy9 :

if you have problem opening all DOCS then it is WORD problem

toughguy9 :

if the problem is with few docs then it might be with doc itself

toughguy9 :

and not WORD problem

Customer:

That is what it looks like - Word problem. I have already reinstalled the software. What is the next troubleshooting step I can take?

toughguy9 :

give me a minute

Customer:

More information. Upon opening Word, I get the dialog box. It does not appear again, however all documents are opening in compatibility mode.

toughguy9 :

i get your problem

toughguy9 :

do you have multiple version of MS office installed in the computer?

toughguy9 :

like Office 2010 and office 2013?

toughguy9 :

or just one version

Customer:

It is possible. This is a new computer and I think it came preinstalled with 2013, which needed a key and activation. We did a transfer from the old computer and it might have brought over the old version.

toughguy9 :

oh..

toughguy9 :

that might be causing the compatibility problem

Customer:

It does not show up in the Start - all programs list. How else can I tell?

toughguy9 :

It is mainly about the file NORMAL.DOTM

toughguy9 :

can you check if the file is located in your computer..

toughguy9 :

before that can you try the following..

Customer:

Where do I look for it?

toughguy9 :

open word

toughguy9 :

run > winword

toughguy9 :

then type soemthign and save it as docx file

toughguy9 :

then open it and see if it opens in compatibility mode or not

Customer:

It does not open in compatibility mode.

Customer:

However I still get the dialog box when I open Word.

toughguy9 :

can you send me a screenshot of the problem so that i understand it better

toughguy9 :

about the dialog your are saying..

toughguy9 :

Ok

toughguy9 :

Can you pls try the following steps

toughguy9 :

Deleting Default Document Template

Sometimes upgrading from previous version can make the default document template file corrupt and it starts creating all new documents in Compatibility Mode.

In such situation, you'll need to reset the default template for creating new documents using following steps:

1. Type %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Templates folder in Windows Explorer.

2. Look for Normal.dotm file in the folder. Either delete the file or rename it to some other name.

Reset_Default_Document_Template_Microsoft_Word.png
Full Size Image

3. That's it. Open Word and it'll automatically create a new Normal.dotm file in Templates folder which will solve the issue.

toughguy9 :

Pls try and let me know

Customer:

I am no longer getting the dialog box when I open Word. I did try an attachment from e-mail and it is still opening in Read Only, Compatibility Mode. Is this normal?

toughguy9 :

The reason you are observing behaviour with doc from email attachement is because the doc might be created using OLD VERSION of MS Word and it is absolutely normal. Can you try saving the file to computer and open it and let me know how things go.

toughguy9 :

if you are not seeing the message while opening word then i think the problem is FIXED.

Customer:

You are correct. Once I saved the document it upgraded to the more recent version. I believe the problem is corrected. Thank you.

Customer:

I am signing out for now. Again, thank you for your help.

toughguy9, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: A Post Graduate in computer science with over 11 years of experience in Data Recovery, Computer Hardware and Software