Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.

I have Office 2010 on my pc. I want to transfer my personal

I have Office 2010 on my pc. I want to transfer my personal settings (normal template, other templates, auto-correct etc) to O365 Home Premium on my Surface Pro. How?

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I agree that Microsoft "should" have take the time to put together a simple solution for migrating from Office 2010 to 365. I also believe they should have done that for every single new version of Office that they have put out; however, they have not done so. (Office 95, 98, 2000, XP, 2003, 2007, 2010)

I can type up the instructions on how to do this manually, if you wish; however, I do not want to waste your time or my time doing so if you are not interested in the correct & manual solution.

Please, let me know what your decision is.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would be very grateful for expert guidance on how to do this manually.

Thank you for the update.

It is quite complicated.

May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had hoped for a recipe. I understand the solution is not obvious. I prefer not to start a remote screen sharing session now.

My plan was to copy the O365 normal.dotm to another location and replace it with my O2010 normal.dotm. Then I can do the auto-correct and the other stuff while working normally, adjusting features accordingly.

If you say the transfer of normal.dotm from O2010 to O365 is feasible, I can do the rest myself.

I appreciate your admission of Microsoft's shortcoming. I have used Word for more than 20 years, and have had to endure several transfers of templates, macros and other features,

Thank you for the update Eirik.

You can just copy the normal template over and overwrite it. This will work. Be CERTAIN that you make a copy of the normal.dotm file before you install 365. It has been known to overwrite it during install.

Just to be safe, you may wish to make sure the following registry value is set to 1 / true.

MigrateOnFirstBoot is a Dword value.