Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

How to switch to a specific running application such as Excel

How to switch to a specific running application such as Excel with only using keys to open it as I am recording a macro to do it and I want the macro to ignore any other programs that might be open at the time. Somthing like GO TO or somthing like that. remember the program is already open.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Kamil Anwar :

Do you want to switch between applications like (Chrome / Excel) using keys only ?

Customer:

yes

Kamil Anwar :

Hold the Alt key then press Tab

Kamil Anwar :

Then keep the Alt key held and use Tab to make selection

Customer:

As I said in the question I need to ignore any other open application as somthing may of just been opened and therefore I would be at the wrong program. And the macro would try to work on a file that I dont want it to work on.

Customer:

I am only new to recording a windows macr following key steps ect so I think the computer will only follow steps I make and if the correct step is not there it will step on the wrong step.

Kamil Anwar :

I am sorry - This question has come to the wrong category. It has to go to Microsoft Office Questions since it is related to Excel.

Kamil Anwar :

Shall i get this closed so you can re-ask the question in the right category.

Customer:

thank you

Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

you would need to make shortcut keys for the applications first, then use these keys.

To do this

Locate the shortcut to the program for which you want to create a keyboard shortcut. This is the icon you click to open the program

Right-click the shortcut, and then click Properties.

In the Shortcut Properties dialog box, click the Shortcut tab, and then click the Shortcut key box.

Press the key on your keyboard that you want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT (keyboard shortcuts automatically start with CTRL+ALT), and then click OK. so for instance assign CTRL+ALT+E for excel.

You can now use this keyboard shortcut to open the program when you're using the desktop. The shortcut will also work while within other programs.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues