flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

I have prepared a scatter plot with two sets of data requiring

Customer Question

I have prepared a scatter plot with two sets of data requiring a secondary Y-axis. Both series are plotting data based upon the same X-axis data. I need to reverse the X-axis order for purposes of comparison. When I do this the first series data switches but the second series of data (using the secondary Y-axis) does not.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

The X-Axis for the second series of data will need to be reversed separately.

To do this, select the data series for the second X axis, then on the Format menu, click Selected Axis and select the appropriate check box to reverse the data.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your suggestion doesn't appear to work or I'm misunderstanding fix. Maybe I have explained problem incorrectly. I tried sending image not sure if I did it correctly.

Attachment: 2013-08-31_153152_example_graph.docx

The second set of data does not have different X-axis values. The second series has a different Y-axis set of values. I have no problem plotting the two sets of data with the second on a second Y-axis. The x-axis at this point has values starting from 800 and increasing to 1400. When I select the x-axis to format and reverse data only the first set of data plots correctly to the reversed axis but the second series (using secondary Y-axis) doesn't change.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the image, it helps explain more clearly.
I will opt out to allow other experts have a look at this as well.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 3 years ago.

I think that you are going to need to add the data reversed for the second plot or resort it I haven't been able to download it yet give me a few hours to get to a computer that does it a little better.

this is an excel spreadsheet ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is Excel - 2010 I think. I resorted the X-axis data for the second series and although it is closer it is still offset. See new attachment.

No big rush just a perplexing problem.

Attachment: 2013-08-31_214608_example_graph.docx

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 3 years ago.
ok will try to get back to you tonight or Monday as I will be away tomorrow. If you need more immediate help please just hit the relist button.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 3 years ago.

hi I am sorry I lost track of this question till you just posted again

I need to move to another computer to look at it but that looks like a word file rather than excel

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it is an Excel file it is just captured in Word. I have attached the Excel file. If you click on the red graph and check the point coordinates you will see how it is not plotting correctly.

Attachment: 2013-10-07_231119_gamma_comparison_2-23_hz1cb_3-24_to_15-13_hz5cb.xlsx

That's if I attached correctly.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 3 years ago.
ok i got it. its going to take me some time just to figure out what it is supposed to be plotting.

can you tell me where the data is that it is plotting ? it just gives named ranges i assume from another sheet in the file.

anything you can tell me to make it a bit easier for me to follow would help. I might just try re doing the plot and see if it works rather than messing with the one that you have.