Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Have been using MS Office since Office XP and know VBA coding very well
59162784

Hello,I would like to know if Excel can Automatically do

I would like to know if Excel can Automatically do the following please:

I download an excel file from another website and I save it to my computer. The file has say 10,000
names , addresses, phone numbers etc etc > there are approximately 10 columns for each person, each containing data.

During the day, I modify the contents of that file…delete some records, add some records and modify some records.

At the end of the day, I save the file and changes I have made. I save my changes in RED.

The next day, I again download the same file from the website, however some of THE DATA HAS BEEN CHANGED
by the provider of that file.

I want to know if I can somehow merge my file and the new daily downloaded file to achieve the following results….

I want to retain ALL of the changes I have made on my file on my computer.

I want to add the new daily file (with the changes made by the website host) to my existing file however, certain conditions
must be observed….

If the new downloaded file has deleted data, it must ALSO remove the same data from my saved file BUT ONLY if I have
NOT modified it. If I have modified it on my file but it is missing in the new downloaded file, can this deleted data be
somehow highlighted on my file to indicate that it has been deleted? Perhaps change the data to BOLD.

if the new downloaded file has additional data that is different to my saved file, it MUST ADD it to my saved file. And, can this
new data be somehow highlighted to indicate that it is NEW data? Perhaps highlight the data in BLUE

It must remove duplicates but ONLY if the duplicate on my saved file has not been modified by me.

Please refer to this example..

The data in RED is data saved on my PC and has been modified by me.

The data in BLUE is NEW data from the downloaded file merged into my data

The BOLD BLACK data indicates that this data is NO LONGER in the new downloaded file.

I hope I haven’t confused this request.

Appreciate any help you can offer.
Frank

JBryan42 :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please do not rate this session until it has been completed.

JBryan42 :

Can you tell me which version of Excel you are using?

JBryan42 :

If it is 2007 or later, take a look at this document: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/track-changes-in-a-shared-workbook-HP010197381.aspx

JBryan42 :

Sorry, scratch that ... it's not shared because you're downloading changes from another site.

JBryan42 :

Well, the short answer is yes, it can be done. But it is going to take quite a bit of VBA coding to do it. Have you done any programming using VBA?

JBryan42 :

If you happen to be using Excel 2013, then you can use the "Inquire" function to show the differences: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/what-you-can-do-with-spreadsheet-inquire-HA102835926.aspx

JBryan42 :

Or you can use Spreadsheet Compare for other versions of Excel: http://sourceforge.net/projects/spreadshcompare/

JBryan42 :

Let me know if any of that helps or if you still need more instruction.

Customer:

Hi and thanks for the help. Using Excel V 2010.

Customer:

No, programming experience at all. Id like the solution done for me

JBryan42 :

ahhh ... I'm sorry but I'll have to opt out then. I am kinda' strapped for time right now and this would take a few days worth of work.

Customer:

I understand. Thanks anyway

JBryan42 :

No problem. If nobody has picked up the question by Monday, then I will revisit the question and maybe we can get something working. In the meantime, please take a look at those links to see if they help you anyway.

Customer:

Appreciate the info. I will check them out but the solutions there will need to be VERY easy to follow in order for me to get the results I want. Cheers.

JBryan42 :

I think you might like the last one ... it's very easy to run through. Perhaps I'll talk to you on Monday. Have a great weekend!

Customer:

Hi, the compare.xlam program works pretty well. With a bit of tweaking, it would be what Im asking for.

Customer:

Any idea if that is possible?

Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Have been using MS Office since Office XP and know VBA coding very well

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Lindie

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, yes Im happy to give it another few days. Didnt think it would be this hard. Thanks

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Lindie

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

There is a program which can help you achieve what you are looking for
http://sourceforge.net/projects/spreadshcompare/

Please try Spreadsheet compare and see if it simplifies your work or not.

As you are using Excel 2010, in order to automate the comparison task it can accomplished this using VLOOKUP method provided in Excel. I feel VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) script can be written to accomplish this.

Excel 2013 has a better way to handle this using INQUIRE method.

All the best.

Thanks & Regards,
Leela Krishna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi and thanks for the feedback. I have previously tried the COMPARE software and it does help. Was hoping there would be something more specific to what I needed though.

I cant find the VLOOKUP system in excel, I'm new to excel (2010).

Thanks anyway.

Frank

Good that you know about compare software and you have used it. There is no AUTOMATIC way to compare within excel as per my knowledge.
In Excel 2010 the best option available is VLOOKUP, but it requires programming.
You can check more information about VLOOKUP in the below links.

http://howtovlookupinexcel.com/

Hope this helps.

If you feel the answer I have provided is useful, please provide positive rating, if you need more details please post a reply I will try my best to answer the same.
All the best.
Thanks & Regards,
Leela Krishna