Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

New Information

I have a pull down menu (list) in cell B3 and when you select a student ID from this list it automatically puts today's date in cell A3 - A3 has the following formula =IF(B4,TODAY(),"") so it works great except that I need this date to be fixed once selected and what appears to be happening is the next day when you select another cell say B20 it changes all the previous dates back to the current date. So is there a way to make the previous dates remain static once selected?

Obviously the formula above should be cell B3 and not B4.  I have attached my workbook also if that helps.

Attachment: 2013-08-29_164757_at_resources.xlsx

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

The reason why this happens is because you are using a volatile function Today(). It will always give the current date.

Where else is this date used in the workbook?

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just in column A - I sent you the workbook to look at - so there is no way to make the date permanent? At the end of the day is there a way to maintain the date value and remove the formula so that the next day the date is still there from the previous day?

Steve,

There is no way to do that with a formula. I saw your file and it has the today() function and that is the reason why your date is always updating to the current date.

You have 2 options though. First, you can use the shortcut Ctrl+; to enter today's date in Excel and that will not update, it is a static date. The second is to use a macro just for that. But this will complicate your worksheet so I still suggest to simply use the key combination Ctrl+; to easily enter today's date rather than invoking the Today() formula in column A.

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I will use the shortcut keys.

Steve,

You're welcome. Yes, the shortcut key will be useful in this case to ensure that your dates will be static.

Best regards,
Jess