businesslegions
businesslegions, IT Consultant
Experience:  An IT Consultant with over 10 years experience
72952988

Trying to use Crane Rain models written in xlas using MicroSoft

Trying to use Crane Rain models written in xla's using MicroSoft Office EXCEL that appear to be '97 version. Add Ins will not work with latest EXCEL. Is there a work around, patch, ...?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  businesslegions replied 1 year ago.

Marco :

Hi there,

Marco :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with this issue.

Marco :

PLEASE NOTE: If this chat is idle for 5 minutes (no messages received by either party) it times out. If you do login to this chat and it appears I'm offline, please leave me a message here and I'll connect as soon as I can.

Marco :

Have you tried converting the XLA to a normal excel file

Marco :

Press ALT and F11

Marco :

then press CTRL R

Marco :

in the window pane click the "This workbook" object and then press F4

Marco :

Scroll down until you see IsAddin and change the property to false.

Marco :

Now save it as XLS

Marco :

then open it on the latest version of excel and see if that works.

Customer:

Marco,

Customer:

Above solution does not work. The Crane Rain Model is a commercial standard available on the internet and is provided via *.xla files which are VBAProjects. From the literature I am not the only one that has the compatibility problem with the newer EXCEL versions. From what I can read there is a way to convert the xla's, but reportedly very messy. Thought you guys might know.

Customer:

GLSmith

Marco :

Hi

Marco :

are you able to send me an example of the xla file

Customer:

Marco,

Marco :

hi

Customer:

Crane Rain xla's are for sale and use is via license. Cannot send xla file without violating terms of license. As stated in previous communication, this is a chronic problem with the Crane Rain models since the change in MicroSoft's EXCEL and is community wide for us who model and analyze radio frequency attenuation by rain. Suggest we drop question. Bye the bye, a solution might be sellable to the general community.

Customer:

GLSmith

Marco :

at the file i cant try to convert it

Customer:

Understand. Should you wish to try this for a project that will likely be marketable, the Crane rain radio frequency attenuation models are available for download and are included in Robert Crane's book available from Amazon.

businesslegions, IT Consultant
Experience: An IT Consultant with over 10 years experience