Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I need if statement of some sorts 3 Column(s) of data below.

I need if statement of some sorts 3 Column(s) of data below. If any data appears in Column C it override(s) column A & B. And Column B overrides column A. If no data appears in Column(s) B & C defaults to Column A.

Column A Column B Column C
Row1. 456 489 500
Row2. 456 489
Row3. 456 500
Row4. 489 500
Row5. 456
Row6. 500
Row7. 456
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you entring data in columns A, B and C?
In which columns do you want to display the overrides?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Columns A, B, C have the data. If Column C has data it will override columns A&B. If columns A & B have data but no data in column C default to column B, no matter what the value is in column A. No data in Column B and Column C defualts to Column A. The if statement formula would be in column D.

Thanks,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
John,

That is not possible.If you want to place a value in column C, the formula must be in Column C. The same is true with column A and B. You cannot control the value of columns A B C is a formula in column D.

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jess, It's possible. Maybe I'm not being clear in my words. Take a look at my spreadsheet. I have a formula issue. Sorry typo in the spreadsheet. The last row should be 10,000 not 50,000

Attachment: 2013-08-27_042313_example_1.xlsx

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
Hi John,

Thank you for writing back and for the clarification. So please confirm on this:

Columns A, B, C have the data.
If Column C has data, column D will show the value in column C.
If columns A & B have data but no data in column C, column D will show the value in column B, no matter what the value is in column A.
If there are no data in Column B and Column C, column D will show the content in Column A.

Is that your conditions?

Jess
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jess,

Yes these are my conditions above. As you can see in my attachment my formula is off just a little for these conditions.

Thanks,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
Hi John,

Do you really need an IF for this formula? Or can we use another approach?
Also, regarding the data in A B and C, can we make the cells blank when they have no value or do you really need to put a dash (-) ?

Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
Hi John,

I have completed your desired formula successfully. I made two variations. The first one is using an array formula, and that is the first sheet. The second is using a nested IF formula, shown in the second sheet.

Please download the completed file in this link:
http://wikisend.com/download/252150/example_1_rev1.xlsx

These 2 formula options will do the exactly what you desire for your worksheet as you described in your problem.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jess,

I'm sorry but I can view these files? For some reason this Wikisend.com won't allow to view the spreadsheet. Can you attach excel spreadsheet? In this email thread?

Thanks,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
Hi John,

I am sorry but I can only attach images in this thread. Please try this other file-sharing site:
http://www.filedropper.com/example1rev1

In that site, there are ads. Please click only on the gray button labeled "Download This File". Enter the code in the captcha, then you will be able to download.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jess,

I can now view the spreadsheet however my data has been brought into from an data source. The excel formula will not work because the formula does not view data as a number. How do I convert into number?

Thanks,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
Hi John,

This information is new, you did not include this in your initial question. So your data is somewhat exported from another source and I believe, the cells in A B and C columns are treated as text. Is this correct? If the contents of the cells are text, then the first option I gave you, which is an array formula, will not work. The reason for this is because the array formula I created looks for the number in the right most part of the row.

However, I also made a second option for you using the nested IFs approach. Have you tried it also? It shall work on text and numbers. This is the formula for it:
=IF(ISBLANK(C2),IF(ISBLANK(B2),A2,B2),C2)

In that modified file I sent you, there were 2 sheets. The first one uses the array and the second one uses the nested IFs. That nested IFs approach shall work on both text and numbers.

Now, there are several ways to make your data numbers. But you have to check first if they are numbers indeed or not by performing arithmetic on them. Example, if you have data in cells A5:C5, you can do SUM() on them and see if it yields results. You can do A5+B5 and see if it gives results.

If your numbers are stored as text or in General format, please click on this link for more information on how to convert your cells into numbers:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/excel-help/convert-numbers-stored-as-text-to-numbers-HP003055900.aspx

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jess,

This formula =IF(ISBLANK(C2),IF(ISBLANK(B2),A2,B2),C2) needs excludes zero(s). I was thinking it was a formatting issue above but it's not. Again, I was not clear in my example above because the data does include zero(s). In my organal formula that's why I was using greater than or less than. Can this formula be adjusted to exclude zeros?

Thanks,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
John,

Have you tried my array formula? That is shown in the other sheet of the file I gave you. That will work for this.

This is indeed a new information since you mentioned like "if any data" and "if no data". So that means if blank and "not blank".

Please check the array formula that I gave you, and let me know your results.

Regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
John,

I modified the IF formula to suit your needs. You can use this IF formula below:
=IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),C2<=0),IF(OR(ISBLANK(B2),B2<=0),A2,B2),C2)

That will exclude the zeros and negative numbers. If you just need to exclude the zeros, then the formula will be:
=IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),C2=0),IF(OR(ISBLANK(B2),B2=0),A2,B2),C2)

Here is the file with this latest changes:
http://wikisend.com/download/948900/example_1_rev2.xlsx

Or this one:
http://www.filedropper.com/example1rev2_2

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jess,

This revised formula works great. =IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),C2=0),IF(OR(ISBLANK(B2),B2=0),A2,B2),C2). Thank so much for all your help!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
Hi John,

Thank you for writing back. I am glad that the new formula worked this time. Yes, the new formula will indeed exclude the zeros which is actually what you require.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jess,

I do have another question. I need a formula for the following. An Employee could start on any of these months below but will always have end date of Sep. The Employee could be 1.00 FTE Full-time or 0.50 Part-time this value could change based on the employee status. I'm not sure how to start this formula.

Oct

Nov

Dec

Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Thanks,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.
John,

Can you post this as a new question? Also, can you send me a sample Excel file for this so that I can work on the formula in that file?

Jess