John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

Email Embedded photos in Excel

Customer Question

I'm running Excel 2008 for Mac v 12.3.1. I have a file with photos embedded as comments that pop up when I hover my mouse over the frame. When I email this file the photos do not go with it. How do I attach photos that will email?

The process I used to embed is:

Format/Comment/Colors & Lines/Color:  Fill Effects/Picture/Select Picture/Insert/Okay

Then I adjust the size to match the original.

Just for giggles I tried loading the file to a website.  I then opened the file with my iPad to se if the photos were there, but they were not.  They are only on my computer and won't transfer.

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

This issue may likely be fixed with a macro, however the problem here is that you're using Excel 2008 which is the only Excel version that does not support VBA macros. Are you planning to upgrade soon?

In any case you can attach your file here (or upload it at and send me the link) and I'll have a look

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just attached an Excel file with multiple photos attached in the manner I described. As to upgrading, I'm undecided. Seems there are more and more incompatibility problems with Microsoft products and Macintosh. I've used Microsoft for 15+ years and am comfortable with it, but need to see what else may be available out there designed for Mac.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just found out my husband has 2011 on his computer. Will you walk me through the process of creating a macro in that version? I can email all the photos to him and recreate the document on his computer then email it from his computer to the folks that need the document.

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

There is no file attached!.

You need to send me the download link so I can download it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Odd, I attached a file using the link you provided. I will try again. I also learned there was a security halt on the credit card I gave you because they did not recognize you as a legitimate business. That stop has been lifted and you may now charge my card.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried uploading two different documents twice and kept receiving this error message:

We are sorry, but an error has occurred while uploading.

You can return to the start page and try again.

I will try again tomorrow.

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

You can also try one of these sites

Make sure you copy the download link that you'll get, and paste it in your reply here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Try this

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Or this smaller file

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did either file contain photos?

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Yes the pictures are indeed embedded in the file. Here is a screenshot

The problem is most likely in your system. Try opening the file using another system (Mac or PC) and you should be able to see the pictures

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not my question. I can see the photos just fine on my computer. My question is how do I email that file to someone else and have the photos transfer so they can se them too?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since I did not receive a solution for my question, I do not want my credit card charged.

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

I see. Just follow the same instructions that I gave you for uploading the file, i,e.

- Go to this site

- Upload the file then copy the download link that you'll get

- Finally compose your email message to the recipient then paste that download link in the email message

When they get the email and click that link they will be able to download the Excel file with the embedded pictures

Hope this helps. Thanks in advance for rating the answer positive so I get paid for my time

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not a Microsoft solution.