Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.

My windows live mail action bar (the one with font, script,

Customer Question

My windows live mail action bar (the one with font, script, colour,italics &c has reduced itself from the full bar to only a few items. I am stuck with one typeface which I cannot alter in any way.
How do I restore this bar for my emails?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I have taken so long to reply. I am now at my laptop. I still need the problem resolved.

Thank you for the update.

Please, post a message here when you are ready for the remote link.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jason, I have found that if I open a new email, then go to 'format' on the tool bar, the drop down box shows 'plain text' ticked. This leads to the limited options on what I call the action bar { it's the bar that looks a little like the one above}.

If I change the setting in the drop down box to 'rich text (HTML)' then the options are restored to what I want. I can then make changes to font, text, colour etc.

However when I send that email, and go to use the email format again (i.e. I create a new email) the format reverts to what I don't want.

So I have identified the problem as - how do I fix 'rich text HTML' as my choice in the drop down box under the heading 'format' when I create a new email. I cannot seem to set the choice so that this is permanent for new emails. Thank you. David

To permanently set the default font face and color for new messages in Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail or Outlook Express:

-Select Tools | Options... from the menu in Windows Live Mail
- In Windows Live Mail, you may have to hold down the Alt key to see the menu bar.
- Go to the Compose tab.
-Under Compose Font, click the Font Settings... button next to Mail:.
-Choose the desired font and color.
- Click OK.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jason, it's 12.40am here at the moment. I will write further tomorrow as the problem is not resolved yet, David

Thank you for the update. Please, let me know when you are ready to continue.