flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

Hey. I have purchased a database of local business data

Hey.

I have purchased a database of local business data for the uk in an excel format. However at present I only need data for London. There are many columns of data including city. What can I do in excel to search for rows that only use London as a city and then copy the complete row of data to another sheet or file?

I am certain that there is a quick way to do this but not sure how. There is over 240,000 rows and about 35,000 are London so obviously I cannot do this manually and am hoping excel has a simple solution for this.

Thanks

If the city is in its own column its pretty easy to do

highlight the entire sheet

then click on data tab and then sort

select the row that city is in to sort on

that will put all of the rows with London next to each other. You can then copy and paste that entire block into its own spreadsheet

There are other ways to do it depending on what end results you wanted but that one is the simplest to do in terms of having any programming skills and what you see is what you get it works very easily and you can see right away what it did and how to use it.