Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have created a schedule for several construction projects

I have created a schedule for several construction projects with the name of the project in row 1 and the phases in column A. It is set up so that if there is a date in cell B2, i can click on cell B3 and enter =B2+5 and will return a date of 5 days later. What I would like to do is to automatically eliminate the weekend and holiday dates from this formula. Is there a way to do that?
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

So what you actually want is for B3 to show a 5-working-day addition from the date in B2?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Buz,

Thank you for that confirmation. Please give me a moment to build a formula for you. After making and testing the formula, I will then post it here and you can then enter it in your B3 cell.

Give me a moment please.

Jess
Buz,

Thank you for patiently waiting. Here is the formula for your B3 cell if the date that you want to add from is in cell B2:

=WORKDAY(B2,5)

For instance, if your B2 contains Aug 20, 2013, if you add 5 days to it by using B2+5, it will give you Aug 25, 2013. But using the formula above, it will give you Aug 27, 2013 since the Sat and Sun days are not included.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried it and it worked one time but now for instance I have in cell E1 the date of 8/24/2013 and I go to cell E2 and put in =workday(E1,10) it returns 41523. I don't believe I have done anything different. Maybe I have and am not catching it.

Hi Buz,

Thank you for writing back. I am glad that the formula worked for you. I believe the problem is in E2 this time. It shows 41523 because the cell E2 is set to have a NUMBER format.

Right click cell E2 (the one containing 41523) then click on Format Cells.

Under Number tab, select on Date.

Click OK.

That should resolve that problem.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jess, I should have known that. Now if I can just get the holidays out of the workdays, that will have answered everything I have asked.

Hi Buz,

Regarding the holidays, you need to have a sheet or table in a worksheet defining the dates where it is declared a holiday. Excel will not know which date is declared a holiday unless you manually enter them.

For my sample, I picked US holidays from this link:
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/

Now, in your Excel file, you must have a sheet or table enumerating these holidays. Then, in your formula, like in B2 or E2, you add another parameter for the holiday.

If the holiday is in another sheet, the B2 formula will then become =WORKDAY(B2,5,Holidays!B3:B170).

In this sample, Holidays is the name of my sheet containing the holidays, and B3:B170 is the range containing the dates itself.

If you need to copy the formula in adjacent cells, you need to make the Holiday parameter static like this:
=WORKDAY(B2,5,Holidays!$B$3:$B$170)

This means that even if you drag the formula below to copy it to the other cells, the holiday cell range (Holidays!$B$3:$B$170) will not change.

Here is my sample file as your pattern:
http://wikisend.com/download/597836/sample-workday-holidays.xlsx

Sheet 1 there has my formula and the Holidays sheet is the one I am referring to as the table where the holidays are declared.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Hi Buz,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Jess