The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

Does Skydrive yet offer a way to share a file without using

Does Skydrive yet offer a way to share a file without using the web interface? So two or more users can have the same file in their desktop Skydrive?

Another way of saying it: Can a file be shared so that two users can both open it from their local files? Or is it always one user has the file locally, shares it, and the person shared to has to work on the file via the web interface?

I prefer the Skydrive collaboration feature for Office documents, but we use files that have to be accessed locally, such as via Mail Merge, FTP programs, etc. This work fine with Dropbox and others, of course, but the collaboration feature isn't as good.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

The-PC-Guy :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

The-PC-Guy :

While the metro style app in win 8 is definently an improvement

The-PC-Guy :

the only other way to share skydrive files

The-PC-Guy :

via desktop

The-PC-Guy :

without the web interfaces

The-PC-Guy :

is if you use

The-PC-Guy :

office 365

The-PC-Guy :

which is a cloud based version of office

Customer:

Thanks! Yup, and 365 is a paid cloud-based version. I do see that as of May 3, 2013, this Skydrive feature is still not available nor announced.

The-PC-Guy :

otherwise if you wanted to run a different kind of collaboration environment, you could set up a sharepoint server

The-PC-Guy :

but that is very involved and requires an active directory environement

Customer:

Thanks. Dropbox it is, then :-(

The-PC-Guy :

and the latest version of 365

The-PC-Guy :

does have direct save and open from your skydrive

The-PC-Guy :

thats the best advice I can give.

The-PC-Guy :

hope this clarifies things for you

The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support