Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Good Morning! I was working in a "recovered" file in Excel

Good Morning!

I was working in a "recovered" file in Excel (due to a power outage). I was saving all new changes every few minutes and was working in the document for two weeks (however, I never hit "Save As" - only "Save").

When I last hit "Save" and then "Close", I went to attach the document I thought I had been working on the whole time only to find that what I as attaching was the original document (none of the changes I had made since working in the "recovered" file existed).

I put so much work into this and feel so stupid for not hitting "Save As". I have done multiple searches on my PC and the document seems to be lost.

Is there a place where this "recovered" document was being saved? I hit "Save" every few minutes.

Please advise and thank you for your time!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Can you tell me please which version of windows and office you are using?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

Microsoft Office 2007

But the Excel document recently called for Excel Version 10 which was downloaded to my computer.

Thank you!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Rachel.

If the files are still there, they will be in either of the locations

C:\users\ {User Name} \Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Look for files with the XAR extension.

Make a copy of each and change the extension to xls.

If you do not see it, click Start, type in %temp% and press enter

Look for files with the XAR extension.

But, Excel will remove these after the recover is complete, so if you do not see them there, they will have been removed sorry Rachel, and you will not be able to recover them again.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have looked at the above already and the document was not found.

Out of curiosity, when I hit "save" on the recovered document, where did it save?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
To the location

But it is temporary, and is removed, you need to use Save As to save it as an actual Excel document Rachel.

Recovery is only to bring the data back, not to keep working in it.

Microsoft though could make this a lot clearer as a lot of people get this confused.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues