jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair

For Viet. A different problem. This new laptop has both MS

For Viet. A different problem. This new laptop has both MS Office 2010 & MS Starter 2010 installed. If I open a .doc file MS Starter produces a version of Word I cannot abide: it does not let me personalize the quick access bar (barre d'accés rapide). In a previous computer I removed MS Starter, and then .doc files opened in a version of Word in which I could personalize this bar. I have just disinstalled MS Starter, after which .doc files would not open, so I have re-installed it. How do I avoid using MS Starter on .doc files or getting it to allow me to personalize Word when I open .doc files?

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today.

First let me say thank you for your service to our country.

I have been in this situation a few times myself. I would uninstall the Office Starter if your sure the Microsoft Office 2010 is installed.
If the laptop is not automatically converting over to the Install you have on there then I would do a repair install of the Microsoft Office 2010. That should relink all your different Docs, Excel files and all the rest of Office.

If you need me to walk you through a step by step process on how to do a Repair Install I need to know what OS are you running. Mac OSX, Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I notice that when I open a document on Office 2010 by clicking on the ribbon a menu of four items appears which include one to personalize the rapid access bar, but when I open a document on Starter this menu only has two items & one missed out is precisely the one for personalizing the rapid bar I want. Yet if I click on the tiny thing just after the few preset entries a menu appears precisely to personalize the bar, yet I cannot make this entry work. If you walk me through, what I would like you to do is to walk me through the abbreviated version of Word on the starter bar so that I can show you what I mean and you can show me how to activate the personalizing which is vital to me.

If at the same time you would walk me through a repair install, OK.

I use Windows 7.

First go a head and remove the Office Starter please.
Click the start button and type Programs and Features
it should populate in the list. Find Office starter and remove it.
You will continue to have problems as long as both are installed.

Windows 7

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
  2. Click the Office 2010, and then click Change.
  3. Do one of the following:
  • In Office 2010, click Repair > Continue.
  • In Office 2013, click either Quick Repair or Online Repair.

You might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

Then lets tackle the toolbar problem when your done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have managed to disinstall Starter but cannot understand your point 2.

Would you take me through from that point?

(Of course, now Starter is removed, my point about personalising it falls).

Go back to Program and Features in Control panel where you removed the Office Starter
In there you should see Office 2010 installation only.
Click on the Office 2010 in the list
Then you should see the Change option. Click on Change
Then you should see Repair select that option.
Then follow the prompts to Repair the Office 2010 installation.

Once this is done then get back with me here. And we can talk about what your trying to achieve with the toolbar.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid I still do not understand what to do and would like to take up your earlier offer of being walked through.

click the start button
type the following
Program and Features
when it comes up in the list select it.
In the Programs and Features window
Do you see Office 2010 in the list?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On Office 2010 there is no modify. Other entries have modify. Office 2010 only has disinstall.

Let me give you a picture to look at.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On your list there is MS Office Professional Plus 2010 but no MS Office 2010. On my list it is the other way around. Change appears against other items but disappears for Office 2010.

Ok lets try this another way.
Go to your Documents folder and double click a word file and see if your Word 2010 opens ok. also check any excel files you have.
Let me know.
Then we can just work on the toolbar
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I get the message which I translate roughly "Failure to configure MS Office One Click".

Ok go to a Word Document that you created.
Right click on it once and choose Open With
then a menu opens up and choose the option Choose Default Program
Here select the Word 2010 option.
Once it opens then close it and pick another word doc and just double click to open and see if this fixes the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I tried to open a doc with Office 2010 the message came that I have to buy Office 2010 even though it is listed with my installed programmes.

But when I try to open it with Word it does open, thank goodness.

The toolbar problem went with the removal of Starter.

Thanks for your help.

That is strange still yet.
Did you buy Office 2010?
Do you have the DVD or Download for it?
I still wish we could reinstall it to make it work correctly.

If your satisfied with my help please take the time to give me a good rating.
If you need more help please ask a question and I will be happy to answer you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One of your colleagues did away with the problem of offering to sell me Office 2010 when it is already pre-installed. Now it has come back.

But I see now that every time I worked on a document I would have to open it with Word and this is not sensible. Would you now help to make this laptop open .doc files straightforwardly?

Here is a picture

Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair