huebelhoer
huebelhoer, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have experience with all aspects of the Office Suite.
29701876

I cant get anything to fix error 2738!

I can't get anything to fix error 2738!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today. I am sorry to hear your having issues with your computer.

I see you mentioned Skype, is that what program is throwing this error?

When you try to install Skype your getting error 2738?

Regards
Hans U
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's right. Click to call in particular. Accidentally deleted it from my extensions and can't get it back!
Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Ok Max., and is Skype completely removed from your computer at this time?

Also can you tell me what version of Windows your running?

Hans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I tried reinstalling skype but that hasn't helped. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Lenovo Ideapad V570.
Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
I am going to type up some steps for you to follow give me a little bit to finish them.
Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Ok, what were going to do is use a program called Revo Uninstaller to remove skype and all of its registery values. Then we will re install skype and that should take care of the issues your seeing.

Follow my steps below.

1. CLICK HERE and download Revo Uninstaller When the page opens you will see a Green button on the left side (dont click the big green download button in the top center) it will say "Downlaod Now cnet installer enabled" and just above it it will say Revo unistaller

2. Once you have it instlaled open it

3. Once open in the center area all your apps are listed. Find Skype, Right click on it and choose Uninstall

4. When it asks what type of uninstall you want choose Advanced then click next

5. then it will perform the uninstall, once done click next

6. it will now scan for registery files and left over folders once done click next

7. ON this screen you will see what is left over, you will want to remove anything that is in BOLD put a check mark in the boxes next to bolded items and then click delete

8. Once deleted click Next and finish

Once this is done, Restart your computer and re install Skype,

Let me know if that does not resolve your issue. If it does please remember to rate my service today. If you have any questions about the download page for Revo let me know, you dont want to click on anything that is not the download button for Revo, they offer all sorts of other stuff you dont want on that page. I will kep an eye out for any responses.

Regards
Hans U
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hans,

Unfortunately still getting the error code 2738.

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Hi Max,

What are you using the make the calls. Are you using just a headset plugged into the computer?

Hans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hans,

Skype is working but during the re-installation I got that error message again. I think it is specifically for the skype click to call extension.

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
ok lts now run the fix it again that we have removed the old registery values

1. go here run fix it again

http://blogs.technet.com/b/fixit4me/archive/2009/03/31/error-code-2738-when-running-a-microsoft-fix-...

2. Install this file

http://skype.com/go/getskype-full

let me know if that works or not.

Hans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hans,

I got the error message again and when I clicked 'ok' the message said 'installation of skype click to call unsuccessful'.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hans,

I've just run the uninstaller software again and skype click to call was still in my applications list so I've done an advanced uninstall, deleted the items in bold and running the full skype installation. I've got my fingers crossed that this has cracked it because this time I got a tickbox asking if I wanted to install skype click to call with the full installation. It should finish in a minute. I hope I have good news!

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear Max. Let me know how that goes.

Hans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hans,

No, sorry, still getting the error message.

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Hi Max,

What version of Skype are you running?

Hans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it's 6.7. I've been installing it from the link you sent me.

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Hi Max,

Please remove skyp again using Revo

Then instlal this version CLICK HERE

The download will start a few seconds after the page opens.

let me know if that still has issues installing.

Hans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hans,

I am being redirected to the skype 'latest version' page before I can click on anything.

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you dont need to click on anythng at all

when you go here CLICK HERE

the page should open and statt downloading.

Let me see if I can tranfser it to you ., Let me know if that still doesn ot download

Hans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm still being immediately redirected to this page without clicking anything:

http://shop.skype.com/intl/en-gb/?cm_mmc=AFCJ%7C1250_B1-_-10576115-2065805

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Ok one minute I am uploding the file to a site for you to downoad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay great, thanks. Sorry for all the bother. Embarassed

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Max

You can download the file at the link below Click the donwload file button

http://tiny.cc/74hv1w

let me know if you still have any trouble downloding

Hans

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hans,

Okay that version installed with no problems. Do I just upgrade it now?

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
See if you have any issues just runing that version. And dont upgrade until the next version is release for Skype.

There is a bug with that new versiion, and they will relase a newer version very soon, once they do upgrade.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards
Hans Uebelhoer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hans,

What about the 'click to call' problem? Click to call doesn't appear to be a feature of this version. I don't need it, I'm just worried about the error appearing again at update.

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Hi Max,

Yeah, the Click to call bug is in the latest version. Once you do upgrade that new version will fix that click to call bug, and you wont get that error again. Unfortunatley there is no way to avoid that feature being installed when you upgrade but you dont have to use it.

If you do have any issues let me know, but as log as you dont upgrade until the newer version is released you will be all set.

You can reply any time if you need anything regarding thsi issue after you upgrade.

Have a great day!

Regards
Hans U
huebelhoer, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: I have experience with all aspects of the Office Suite.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so very much for your time, patience and expertise! Smile

Expert:  huebelhoer replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Max. it was my pleasure. Have a great day!

Hans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The same to you!