Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

hi is it possible to validate the fill out of one column against

hi is it possible to validate the fill out of one column against a combination of two columns?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Yes it is. If your using Excel Data Validation, then select Custom in the Validation Criteria.

Then in your Formula, use (I use A1 and B1 as an example)

= A1 & B1

This will then combine the values in the two cells and return a combined value that will be used for validation.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

hi, are you there?

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Yes I am Douglas.

Did you see my answer?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
If your having troubles with my instructions Douglas, please let me know as I can show you directly.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

have you received my latest reply?

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
no sorry, only "hi, are you there?" and "have you received my latest reply?"

Can you repeat it please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

okay.

I've followed your advice and the result was not as intended.

I am used to using the "list" option in the validation tab. With "list", when you're filling out the column, you get an arrow on the right side of the column an clicking that arrow you get a list of possible fill outs coming from the validating cells.

By using this "custom" option, no arrow appears, neither any fill out option. And when I type any value in the cells I get a message saying I am trying to use a non valid content.

So what should I do to get that same effect as when I am using the "list"validation option?

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, it is easier I look at your file directly.

Tell me which cell needs to be validated with which 2 cells.

then, with the file

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2013 conversations -- Aug 15 backup.xlsx

• File ID: 283196

• File size: 72.5 KB

• Time to live: 7 days

Download link:

Forum link:

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Can you tell me which needs to be validated with the two cells please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

on the tab "entries", you'll see the validation clause on column E. You'll see that this column is intented to be validaded agains ranges "ID & subjects".

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Thanks

What does ID & Subject need to be validated as?

eg: IF ID=1 and Subject = Math then True

You can explain it in your own words.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

the point is that I want to fill the ID column with the ID of the respective subject and want that while I am filling out both the ID and respective subject from the validation tab are visible.

In fact, the validation is primarily against the ID range.

Is there a more agile way for us to interact? like skype.

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
We cannot sorry, it is against policy

So basically, the ID entered has to match the Subject that has that ID?

eg: if Maths has ID 1

Then whenever ID 1 is selected, Maths needs to be in the subject?

Is this correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes, your understanding is correct.

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, then you dont need a validation, you just need a lookup.

I can do this for you, but I see there are so many Tables, Valiudations ect, it is very messy.

Can I make a new sheet and do this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes, thank you.

Sorry for the messEmbarassed.

how does it work, will you send me to that site again so that I download the file?

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Thats ok, you made a mess trying to learn, never be sorry about that!

You can download my sheet from here

Go to www.wikisend.com

Click Download, use File ID 162444

Click Download, then download file.

I made the lookup for you, so enter in the rest of the ID's and you will see Excel will automatically put in the subject.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

well, this still doesn't solve my need.

I need that when I am filling out the 'SUB_ID' column, the arrow on the right hand side is shown and when I click the arrow, combinations of "id and subject" from the validation tab are visible for me to choose from.

is it possible?

thank you so far.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

hi have you got my latest?

==================================

well, this still doesn't solve my need.

is it possible?

thank you so far.

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, sorry but you said I had the correct understanding so took it from there.

But no, not in that way it can. You need something such as MS Access.

You can validate for selection on one field (not validate against two fields, that is different).

Bt with my solution, they enter the number and get the corresponding subject in the column next to it.

Else you need to use a database program such as Access to do this.

Do you have Access there?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

with the available information, you did an excellent job, thank you.

No, I don't have ms-access, sorry.

I think we can stop here. Thank you for your time and help. I hope we can interact more in the future.

This experience has been very valid for me.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
We can indeed Douglas, it would be a pleasure to assist you further

But remember, Excel is for Spreadsheets and calculations, it is not made as a database storage program, (just indicating this before you get to far into this).

If your looking at storing records ect, Access from Microsoft would be ideal, and I can help you also with anything for that.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues