Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I can not see any data on my excel spreadsheet. I am connect

I can not see any data on my excel spreadsheet. I am connect to a 2ned computer she see the data but I can not get anything? Help
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Can you explain the problem or scenario a little more? Is it like this:
You have 2 computers, the excel file shows the data when opened in computer 1, but will not show any data when opened in computer 2?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No my computer is the main one & as I was making a change to my excel spreadsheet the screen started flashing, and now I can not see anything in excel. The shared computer can get it all.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

Thank you for writing back. What did you mean by the "shared" computer? Is it another computer in the house where anyone of you can use?

Now regarding your Excel, when you try to open it, what happens? It opens but the screen is blank? Or it is no longer opening?

Also, is this happening only with Excel? What about MS Word and other programs? Do they open normally?

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a business and we are on a shared network.

When I ope the file I just can not see anything. On the fx bar that runs L to R I can see where I was last but no other data shows.

Yes it only in my excel file.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

Are you saying that the problem is one this specific Excel file? What about when you open Excel, is it opening normally with the blank worksheet?

I am asking these to know if the problem is your Excel program or this specific file. If it is Excel, then when you open Excel the problem shall occur. But, if it is this specific file only, then you must be able to open MS Excel normally and be able to open your other Excel files.

Also, is this file stored in your local computer? (The one you are using now). If so, please ask everyone from your network who might be accessing your file to close it. Then restart your computer then try open the file again.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it is with all my excel files. Yes it opens normaly with the blank worksheet.

It seems like something just changed & I can no longer the data, the file is still there, all my excel files are there.

We tried to copy from the other computer with a flash drive & when I opened the file it wqas also empty of data. I have shut everything down & re-booted my computer already, but still nothing has changed.

So confused.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

Your Excel files are all intact. When you copy ANY of your Excel files in a USB drive and open it using ANOTHER computer, what happens? Is it opening or working just fine?

On the other hand, you also mentioned that if you COPY any Excel file from your colleague's computer, it will also NOT display?

By "not displaying" data, are you saying that you can see the spreadsheet and move the mouse normally but the screen is white? Can you type anything and then see if in the formula bar the typed data are entered?

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try to copy the file & open it on the other computer.

Yes the fiel will NOT display any data.

Yes, I can see my spreadsheet, move my mouse. I have not tried to type anything as I can not see anything and do not want to change the data.

But I will try that also.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

Please try to type anything and then just do not save the file. When you type, please check the formula bar since it shall be displaying what you type there.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I typed "XXXXX XXXXX" but I could not see the data in the spreadsheet. It shows up on the formula bar only.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

Have you tried to test if the font colors are just set to white? While in your Excel, since you can still use it just with a white or blank screen, please press CTRL+A to select all. Then set the font color to black and see if the data appears.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I copied the file to a flash drive, took it in to the other computer & it opened just fine. Everything was there.

I tried to change the font color but that didn't do anything.

The CTRL+A doesn't do anything either.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

Is this Excel 2003, 2007 or 2010?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2010

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

Please try these steps:
  1. Open your Excel 2010
  2. Click on File => Options
  3. Click on Advanced in the left tab
  4. Scroll down to the bottom to locate the "General" group
  5. UNCHECK the option that says "Ignore other application that uses DDE"
  6. Click OK
  7. Close Excel
  8. Open it again then test your files.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess,

It isn't checked.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

Please do these steps:
  1. Open your Excel file. It may show blank this time (the problem)
  2. Click on View menu
  3. Under the group called "Window", click on Arrange All
  4. Then in the options, click on Cascade
  5. Click OK
  6. Then see if the data are shown this time.

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OMG that did It!!!

Thank you so much!

Jess, really thank you so much!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy!

Wow! I am glad that it worked this time. This is basically a glitch with Excel and many people are having similar issues and that is the solution -- refreshing the window arrangement.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

If you have questions in the future, you can request me any time and I will be here to assist you.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have one more issue. There are 2 seperate file which now seem to be one. I have them open & it has come up as a split screen type.

Any idea how to put them back to seperate files?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

If you are still referring to Excel, then your View may be causing this. Click on View menu then click on Arrange All. Then select Tiled then click OK. If that doesn't help, then simply close the other file, then Maximize the remaining file to occupy the full screen. Then open the other file back.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years