sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting
15197395

word2003. margins. I select text and change the margin through

word2003. margins. I select text and change the margin through page setup. But the margins change for my whole document, not just for the selected text. Help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for posting your question, please follow the steps below and let me know, how it goes for you.

• To change the margins for part of a document, select the text, and then set the margins you want. In the Apply to box, click Selected text. Microsoft Word automatically inserts section breaks before and after the text with the new margin settings. If your document is already divided into sections, you can click in a section or select multiple sections and then change the margins.

You can also do one of the following:

View page margins

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the View tab.
  2. Under Print and Web Layout options, select the Text boundaries check box.

The page margins appear in your document as dotted lines.

Note You can view page margins in either Print Layout or Web Layout view only, and they do not appear on the printed page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did that. Only the selected text had its margin changed, just like I wanted...But it now puts the selected text on a separate page. It needs the whole page for the selected text. That doesn't work well for me.

What happens now?

Please try to print some pages of the documents, because those are section breaks and not a different page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I printed. The selected text came out on its own page. Those section breaks were treated by the printer as if they were page breaks.

Can you tell me, why you are trying to set the margins, because you can set the margin for a single page or the whole document, it is not possible to set two different margin on a single page, because the margin is applied of the page and not a particular section, unless you apply section breaks before applying the margins.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why am I trying to set the margins? Because I want quotes to be indented so the reader knows they are quotes.

So okay, let's "apply section breaks". I never heard of that before. How do I do that?

You can use tabs or indents to do that or try the steps in the link below to apply section breaks.

Insert a Section Break

1. Click in the document where you want the new section to begin
  2. Click Insert > Break
  3. Insert a section break in a document

4. Select the type of section break you want to use from the list
  5. Next Page: Inserts a section break and starts a new page

Continuous: Inserts a section break and continues on the same page

Even Page: Inserts a section break and starts the next section on the next even numbered page

Odd Page: Inserts a section break and starts the next section on the next odd numbered page

Section breaks are hidden from view. To see the breaks switch the document to Normal view or click the Show/Hide button on the toolbar.

Document sections used to work with columns

The section of the document that you are in at any time can be seen on the Status Bar.

Section number displayed on the Status Bar

sudipto_dutta, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting