Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

What is wrong when (I have one with Somalie and a friend has

What is wrong when (I have one with Somalie and a friend has the same experience with a contact in Spain) suddenly stops* and never is possible again, whatever we tried.

* No contact since June

Kind regards,
A Veenman
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you having problem contacting someone using Skype? Is this problem only happening with one particular contact?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess

I hope you can help me.

The problem is only with my contact in Somalie and my friend also has only problems with one contact in Spain.

Kind regards,

An

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi An,

Thank you for that information. So you are saying that your contact in Somalie is now unreachable? How about your other contacts? Is Skype working normally with your other contacts?

I am asking this because I want to know if the problem is WITH the Skype program or not. If it is with Skype, I will try my best to help you resolve it. But if the problem is with that particular contact, then we need to do some tests to check if that contact can be reached by other means.

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess

My contact with Somalie is the only Skype-contact that gives problems.

I looks like I am blocked but I am not.

Hope this helps.

An

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
An,

Can you describe "how" it appears that you are blocked? Are you saying that when you message the said contact, it will never send? How about calling the contact? What error are you getting?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess

The little connection sign next to the name of my friend in Somalie shows a question sign inside.

I can write a message and send it away but get no respons or a message that says it wasn't send, so I don't know what happens with it.

Maybe it's a good thing for you to know that I am Dutch and live in the Netherlands.

My friend is a Dutch soldier, sent to Somalie.

He uses his Dutch account for our dayly conversations but after 5 weeks there was suddenly no connection anymore.

If you need more information, just ask please.

An

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
An,

Thank you for that information. Do you know this soldier personally? Or just met him online?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No not only online, why?

An

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
An,

I am sorry to ask that but my intention is to know whether this soldier is a real life friend or just a virtual friend of yours. That is, if you just met this soldier online. The reason for me asking this is because bogus people are using Skype and then deactivate their bogus accounts any time. So if you are befriended with a bogus contact, you will have this kind of problem.

Now, it appears that your Skype software is NOT the cause of the problem, which means that Skype is working properly.

Since you know this soldier in person, I suggest that you contact him regarding this matter using other communication form, like sending him an email detailing the problem.

If this contact has the Skype icon that is grayed out with a question mark icon, then this means that the soldier deleted you from his contact list. Also, when you open an IM/Call window, you shall see the This Contact Has Not Shared Their Contact Details With You notification.

He might have done this in error, so I suggest that you send another contact request at this time to get connected to him again.

Another possible cause for this is duplicate accounts. That is, he might have duplicate accounts and the one you have now in your contacts list is the inactive account. In this case, you need to contact him through email to get this corrected.

Moreover, if this contact's icon is NOT a grayed Skype icon with a question mark, BUT his original avatar but with a question mark, then it means he did not delete you from his contact list. The problem is with your Skype mixing up Skype contacts with Messenger contacts. In this case, you need to RESYNC your Skype contacts and your Messenger contacts.

First, you need to update your version of Skype then resync your contacts. More detailed procedures are described in this link:

Re-Sync your Contacts After Updating Skype

That should correct the problem.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess

We were in the middle of a conversation when the connection went blanc.

Since I believe we both couldn't get any connection fore some weeks on a row, he might have really blocked me by now after getting tired of trying over and over.

A few weeks I could see he tried to get connected with me because his connection icon was green but I got no message and suppose he didnot too.

After 2 weeks I got the gray icon with question mark.

It really must be the Skype connection, because sometimes there was a day he couldnot get any connection and said we had no internet at all.

Can it be possible to be difficult sometimes to make connection with his own computer in Holland from Somalie?

Kind regards

An

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi An,

Thank you for writing back with that information and I am sorry to hear about all this trouble that Skype is causing you.

As I reviewed your scenario, it appears that your soldier friend has a connectivity problem from his end causing him to off from your Skype. We cannot prove that though but that is most likely the case since at times his icon is green and other times is gray.

If you are able to browse the internet, browse other sites and use Skype normally, then there is no connectivity problem from your end. Let us just focus from your friend's connectivity problem.

Internet connectivity is not country-dependent. That means that if he is in Somalia and he has a good and stable internet connection, he can access the internet and use Skype and can contact anyone anywhere in the world. But I believe the country that your friend is living now is not that booming with internet technology so I believe that there are several places there that has no internet connectivity. In this case, even if he likes to communicate with you through Skype, he cannot.

Other possible cause here is that his Skype account could have been inactive after few days or week of not logging in to it. This is usually caused by forgotten login information. If for instance he forgot his password, or Skype ID after not using Skype for few weeks, his account will be inactive.

In this case, I highly suggest that you contact him through other means like email.

Or, if you notice at some point that his icon is green, please send an IM to him giving your other contact information like email address so that he can get in touch with you even withouth Skype.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years