Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

How to highlight cell A1 ( with conditional formatting) if

Customer Question

How to highlight cell A1 ( with conditional formatting) if any cell in range B1:B100 contains the text "Red"? I know how to use conditional formatting, but I don't know how to construct the formula for this problem. Thank you very much
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with you question today!

Dr. Dan :

First, select cell A1 as described and click on Conditional Formatting on the Home tab of excel

Dr. Dan :

Select "New Rule:

Dr. Dan :

Then select "Use a formula..." for the Rule Type

Dr. Dan :

In the formula bar field use the following:

Dr. Dan :

=COUNT(SEARCH("red",$B$1:$B$100))

Dr. Dan :

Then select a format (so Fill, select a red color)

Dr. Dan :

That should make A1 fill the background red if "red" is contained anywhere in the B1:B100 range of cells

Dr. Dan :

Let me know if that works for you

Dr. Dan :

Here is a link to an example that I have created for you: http://www.ge.tt/2T28cVl/v/0?c

Dr. Dan :

If you run into any issues please let me know and I will gladly further assist you

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Dan. Did you need more info to better assist me? If you do, please ask me. Help with my question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hmm that is odd, I already answered this fully in chat but apparently it did not save. I even created a template file for you to download, I apologize for this technical issue. Let me get back to my computer (I am currently on my phone) an I will get the file uploaded again.

Basically you will need to select A1 and then on your home tab select conditional formatting and select a new rule. Select the option to use a formula. I can provide you the formula if you tell me what version of Excel you are using, 2010, 2013?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MS excel professional 2010
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Great, thanks for the update Jose.

Here is the function that you will need to use: =COUNT(SEARCH("Red",$B$1:$B$100))

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the technical difficulties. The Live Chat response should have been saved to this conversation after the chat was switched to a Q&A session.

Here is the example .xlsx file that I created to meet your request: http://sharesend.com/eoofh1jp

Let me know if that helps!

If it does please take a moment to rate our interaction to close this question.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them below and I will gladly continue to assist you!

Thank you,

Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jose,

Thanks for accepting my previous response. I greatly enjoyed working with you and hoped I was able to help.

If you have further questions, please feel free to request me in the future!

Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan, You were very helpful with my last question, I hope you can help me with this one.

I have the following sheet in workbook:

year

jan

feb

mar

in sheets "jan", "feb", "mar" I have long list of expenses in column A. In column B, I have the I have names of expense categories.

I want to add the expenses by category.

I know how to do it for each month.

For example in F1 I had the text "office", that is one of the categories, G1 I wanted the total for category "office", so I did the following formula:

=Sumif('jan'!B1:B100,F1'jan'!A1:A100) and it worked fine.

However, I want the totals in the sheet "year" I want the range to include B1:B100 from sheets jan, feb, and mar.

How do I do it?

I already tried:

=Sumif('jan'!C1:100+'feb'!C1:100,F1,'jan!'B1:B100+'feb'!B1:B100) and it didn't work.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Jose. I see that another expert is already assisting you I this so I will defer to the answer provided.