Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Sorry to repeat myself Richie. I asked a question a few minutes

Sorry to repeat myself Richie. I asked a question a few minutes ago but was not logged in. I want to add memory to an old labtop and install Windows 8 but need some technical support. Are you able to help or should I speak to someone else? Darlène, Montréal
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Richie is not online at this time and I believe he is on vacation, I am not sure when he will be back.

If you would like I can help you with this. If you would like to continue with me please let me know the make and model of the laptop you are hoping to upgrade.

This way I can check the specs and see if it is possible.

Or if you prefer to wait for Richie just let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I would like to try to work this out with you. The laptop is Toshiba A60. Thank you. Darlène

Excellent.

There are a few different models of the A60 , usually it will say something like A60-S1591

Do you see anything like that on there?

If not please let me know which version of windows the machine currently has.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not finding any info beyond A60. The current program is Windows XP Professional.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually, it is Microsoft Windows XP, Family edition, Version 2002. There has been few upgrades through the years as my Partner did not have internet.

Thanks please let me how much ram is in the computer.

Click Start
Click Settings
Click Control Panel and double-click the Systems icon.
In the General tab will be listed the amount of RAM currently installed and detected.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is the info : Toshiba

Intel(R)

Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHx

2.93 GHz, 448 Mo de RAM

Thank you so much. Sorry for the delay I wanted to research this model a bit.

This is a very very old laptop. As I am sure you understand when they make new operating systems such as windows 8 they make them to run best on new hardware.

Remember this machine shipped with windows XP which was released around 2001 and windows vista was in 2004. I am just saying this to give you an idea of how old this machine is.

It may be technically possible to get windows 8 to install on this machine if you upgrade the ram however I would strongly advise against it. Just because it may install does not mean it will work work well. You would likely have a lot of incompatibility issues between windows 8 and the hardware in the laptop. This could be anything from the CD drive not functioning or network adapter.

Hardware in the machine requires what is called a driver to work. Hardware manufacturers need to create new drivers when new versions of windows come out, I am sure they did not for hardware as old as yours so you wimost certainly have problems on that end.

Also due to the hardware in machine even if you could get 8 installed it would run horribly slow.

I think even upgrading to windows vista (which came out after XP) would be a mistake due to the systems hardware.

If you would like to upgrade my advice would be to stick with windows XP but you could upgrade you ram which may make the machine run a little better.

The maximum ram you can put in this computer is 1GB. Most newer laptops come with at least 4 to 8GB just to give you an idea.

If you do wish to upgrade the RAM go to the following website:
http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx

On the left hand side you will see Crucial Memory Advisor tool. Select your manufacturer and model (I believe your exact model is the Equium A60-199) and then run the tool.

It will tell you which type of ram you need to get.

Honestly though for a machine this old it may be best to just hold off upgrading and save your money for a new one. Unfortunately computer technology gets outdated very fast. I do not see any very noticable performance gains from upgraded the memory. There will be some such as being able to have more programs open at once before the machine crashes but just don't expect it to all of the sudden be super fast.

If you need clarification of anything I have said please reply back and let me know.

Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Chris. Need to step out for a few hours. Can I get back to you then for advice on labtop purchase? Merci. Darlène

Yes of course. You can just create a new question and say "For Chris Shores" in the title and I will help.

Thanks,
Chris