J Tech
J Tech, Computer Support
Experience:  Owner of X XXXX Computer Repair
31481149

PDF spreadsheet which can calculate like Excel

Customer Question

I need to create a functioning PDF spread sheet that replicates the function of an Excel version that I have available to anyone that can help, there are 2 input fields & 13 cells with relatively simple calculations here are 2 examples are =SUM(E10:E17)*E21 and =((B10-C10)/80000)*B5*B4

Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks Jon

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  J Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hello, first of all you would need to be using a professional version of the acrobat software or similar where you could edit the file. What you need to do is set up a calculated field. You do this by adding JavaScript code to the field's Calculate event. Exactly how you do this depends on which version of Acrobat you're using, but the code might look something like:

(function() {

// Get the field values, as numbers
var v1 = +getField("box1").value;
var v2 = +getField("box2").value;
var v3 = +getField("box3").value;

// Perform the calculation
var result = 0.9 * (v1 * 32.9 + v2 * 67 + v3 * 75.8);

// Set the value of this field to the result
event.value = result;
})();

You would replace "box1", "box2", and "box3" above with the actual names of the fields you're using. Also, make the calculated field read-only.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I have Acrobat X Pro, but no experience of Java or setting up Forms in Acrobat. Ideally I'd like to send the excel sheet & get a functioning PDF sent back, would this be possible?

Thanks

Jon

Expert:  J Tech replied 3 years ago.
I have heard you can do this with Adobe Livecycle ES2 but I have not used this program other than that there is no way to retain the Excel formulas when converting to PDF. While it would be possible to create a PDF form that duplicates the functionality you would have to use the javascript.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would you be able to create a PDF form for me? I could send you the spreadsheet first so you can check if you think you can do it.

Expert:  J Tech replied 3 years ago.
I am not allowed to communicate with you other then through this chat.

There is a video here that may help you understand this in an easy way. You might not even need to use the java if you could use the built in mathematic functions in acrobat x.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YhgGkNRoDU