flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

I have an Excel spreadsheet with stock tickers, sector info,

Customer Question

I have an Excel spreadsheet with stock tickers, sector info, and portfolio weightings that feed into sheet in random order and I want to use a formula to put all entries in order by the sector data and by maximum weighting. How would I do this/

Attachment: 2013-07-08_210233_sector.xlsx

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

the attachment that you sent only had 3 columns

Its very easy to sort by any of those columns by highlighting everything

then hitting the data tab and then click the sort button. It will give you an option of what column to sort on and whether it goes low to high or high to low

this is what came out when I sorted on the percentage field highest to lowest

click HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need it to perform this with a formula function as I have data input fields in these cells and the are linked to other cells so I need some type of look up sector and rank or something

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
well i need a much better idea of what the spreadsheet actually looks like to give you what you want
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

looks like the one I sent...however the data has formulas that pull it into the worksheet and I want a formula that will sort the data

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't expect to be charged until this is done

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

I have no control over billing I get paid only when you give me a good rating

you can email support@justanswer.com to discuss any billing issues

I don't know of any formulas that will sort data. The sort command sorts data very easily.

You might be able to do some sort of table or graph that would sort it out perhaps but I am not sure what exactly you want. if you are just pulling in data and you want to issue a report in order something like access is going to be a lot easier to do that with than excel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the issue is the "data" I'm trying to sort is text. Is there some way to use the "code" function to do this?

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
You could. But there is no reason to do so. Excel will sort on text as easily as it sorts on numbers.