Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I have to add 3 blank rows, based on information in column

Customer Question

I have to add 3 blank rows, based on information in column 1 which is the order number.
All order numbers have different number of rows associated with them.
Example:

12
12
12
13
13
14
14
14
14
So I have to add 3 blank rows between orders when new order starts.
Thx.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me, in order that I may answer your question as appropriately as possible:

- What version of MS Excel (or is it MS Access?) you are asking about?

- Do you wish to add the blank rows manually.... or automatedly / automagically / etc. ?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2010 version. Automated. If row two minus row one is bigger than zero then add 3 rows.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I presume that your question regards XXXXX XXXXX which I do not know enough about to advise you on. So I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I will be providing an answer to your question today.

I have written a small piece of code that will accomplish what you want to do.

Just paste the following code in a macro for the sheet and it will insert 3 blank rows each time there is a change in column A.

Sub AddRows()
Dim myRow As Long
Dim myCount As Long
Dim myCol As Integer

myCol = 1
myCount = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count

For myRow = myCount - 1 To 1 Step -1
If Cells(myRow, myCol).Value <> Cells(myRow + 1, myCol).Value Then
Range(Cells(myRow + 1, myCol), Cells(myRow + 1, myCol)).EntireRow.Insert
Range(Cells(myRow + 1, myCol), Cells(myRow + 1, myCol)).Select
End If
Next myRow
End Sub

If your order numer is in a column other than A, just change the mycol value to the number of the column. For example, if it's in B, then set mycol to 2.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Have you had time to test the macro? Please remember to rate my level of service. It's a very important part of the process and the only way I will receive credit for helping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please make response dummy proof.

I have to add 3 empty rows above a cell in colum A when the amount is bigger or small than zero (any number but zero).

A1 34

A2 18

A3 6

A4 0

A5 8

A6 0

A7 22

A8 13

A9 54

A10 0

As you see there is no consistancy in how many rows there are between the zeros.

Please write your response as if you were me writing this. Also I need to know if I need to modify if my next excel has more rows.

In your original question, you said that you needed to add three rows inserted when the order number changes. And you gave the example of:

12
12
12
13
13
14
14
14
14

The macro that I gave you would result in:

12
12
12

13
13

14
14
14
14

Which is what I thought you were asking for. This sounds like an entirely different question.

You also mentioned "If row two minus row one is bigger than zero then add 3 rows", which I interpret to mean the same thing - if the order number changes, then insert 3 rows... except that you don't actually have to do a subtraction and then compare to 0 - you just have to compare it to the previous row and see if it's different. Are the zeroes in the new example some type of intermediate calculation?

I don't understand what the zeroes represent in your new example. Can you please clarify why it won't work to insert three rows when the number changes? That may help me understand what you are trying to do.

In the macro that I gave you, for an example, if there are 1000 rows, that represent 100 different orders, it will list items with the same order number until the order number change, then it will insert 3 rows before the next order number begins and it will do that for the entire worksheet.