Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Im on a macbook pro. I have printed many spreadsheets but

Customer Question

I'm on a macbook pro. I have printed many spreadsheets but the one I am trying to print now just shows up with no data when I try to print. This spreadsheet has varied cells with comments and explanations.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Can you send the problem Excel file to me if it is possible? Just upload the file to http://wikisend.com, no need to register there, just upload the file and then wait for the page to show the 6-digit File ID or the download link. Post the File ID or the download link when you reply so that I can get your file.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

231890 is file no

hope i did this correctly

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I got the file called HTJointAssetListSEND.xlsx.

When you tried to print, did you print ALL pages? I am asking because the file as I see here have several blank pages so only Page 1, Page 5, Page 9, Page 13, Page 17, and Page 21 have printable data.

If this is the right file, please let me know so that I can correct the data to be printable in continuous pages.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when i print i select an area (columns A-J and lines down to 184. and then print selected area. I have tried just printing one line and it still is blank.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back. I cleared the Print Area and then set it back to the entire worksheet.

Now, please test if you can print your selection this time in the file I modified for you. Here is the download link:

http://wikisend.com/download/447988/HTJointAssetListSEND_rev1.xlsx

I also printed as PDF the selection you mentioned and it has 6 pages in all. See this PDF file:

http://wikisend.com/download/109292/HTJointAssetListSEND_rev1.pdf

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need.

If you have any other questions, please ask me more or reply to me– I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The file you sent me still shows up blank.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
What did you mean by blank? Are you saying the page is blank when printed? Or while viewing the sheets, the entire sheet is blank? Please confirm on this.

Also, please try to go to Print then Preview. Is there printable pages listed there?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On my screen everything is fine. When I go to Print I have preview on. The preview shows (and then only prints) a rectangle with my header and footer but nothing - no data, no comments, no grid lines, in the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also, if i open in PDF I see same thing a completely empty rectangle.

when i select an area the preview shows the correct number of pages but they are all without content

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that clarification.

Now, please try these steps:
  1. Open thefile in Excel
  2. Click on the small square at the top of the row header "1" and at the left of the column header "A". Clicking on that small button will SELECT ALL of the worksheet. See screen shot here:

3. After that, everything must be selected or greyed. Now, go to Page Layout then locate Print Area button. Click on it then select the command "Clear Print Area". See screen shot:

4. After that, click on ANY cell to remove the selection
  5. Then click on that small "Select All" button described in step 1 to SELECT all of the worksheet
  6. Then click go to Page Setup again, locate and lock on Print Area, then select "Set Print Area"
  7. Save the file
  8. This time, try to make your A to J selection then try to preview if there are 6 printable pages shown this time

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My Excel isn't exactly like yours and trying to do what you suggest isn't changing anything. Because the print preview shows me the correct number of pages and the correct size of the pages based on the break lines, I believe I am setting up the print area correctly.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the content of my cells and my formatting.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
You first mentioned that in your Preview, it shows (and then only prints) a rectangle with your header and footer but nothing - no data, no comments, no grid lines, in the box.

Is this still the case now when you go to Print => Preview?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. nothing changes. the size of the box looks like the size of my selection but only the header and footer and a rectangle print

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, what version of Excel are you using? Go to Help => About Excel to know if it is Excel 2003, 2009 etc.

Also, please download this modified file and see if it prints normally:
http://wikisend.com/download/403852/HTJointAssetListSEND_rev2.xlsx

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is peculiar. I switched from landscape to portrait and I can print with data. I don't get it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you see my last message - changing to Portrait allowed me to print.

??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to move on for now. I have a lot of work to do. I appreciate your help and think my problem is due to something I am doing that I'm not aware of so I'm not informing you.

Thanks. I cant work on this anymore.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
This is indeed a formatting issue. So you are now able to print to selection after changing the orientation to Portrait? Good to know that.

Now, save the file and then try setting the orientation back to Landscape then see if it works this time.

Also, please try to download the file I gave you last, I was able to remove incompatible formatting in that file. See if it works within Landscape. You can also change it to Portrait, then bacl to landscape then test printing your selection.

Keep me posted.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'll play with it when i have time.

Thanks.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If you need assistance in the future, I am here. Just let me know. I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for your patience and for using our service.

Best regards,
Jess