Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Have been using MS Office since Office XP and know VBA coding very well
59162784

How to unlock a Windows 8 product key

Customer Question

How to unlock a Windows 8 product key
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

JBryan42 :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Bryan and I will be assisting you today. Please do not rate this session until it has been completed.

JBryan42 :

Can you clarify what you are looking for? I don't understand what you are asking for to unlock the product key.

JACUSTOMER-bum4on4w- :

I purchased a new cpu which has Windows 8 installed and it tells me to activate windows and it shows me the last 5 digits of a product key says "current product key xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-CYQG3

JBryan42 :

Ok. So you need to activate it. Give me just a minute to get the steps for you.

JBryan42 :

Actually, this site has a good tutorial on how to activate it. You will need your full key though. Do you have that?

JACUSTOMER-bum4on4w- :

No, only the last 5 digits, as cpu was already installed with Windows 8

JBryan42 :

There should be a sticker on the case of the computer, normally on the bottom (if it's a laptop), or the back (for desktops and tablets). That sticker will show your product key. If it's not attached to the case, it may be underneath the battery (if it's a laptop).

JBryan42 :

If you don't have it, try going through the activation routine anyway. It may be embedded in the BIOS and the activation routine will read it automatically.

JACUSTOMER-bum4on4w- :
Yes thanks, I have found it on the back of the cpu. (Just need a magnifier to read it!!!!!)
JBryan42 :

Very good. Yeah, they do print them kinda' small. And watch out for those 8 and B differences ... those have fouled me up more than once.

JBryan42 :

Alright, well let me know if you need anything else. I'll be around. :) Otherwise, take care.