Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.
18519760

i need some help on recovering my bit locker to go password.

Customer Question

i need some help on recovering my bit locker to go password. I used to use a computer windows 7. Now I have exchanged the computer with a new one Windows 8. I still remember the password XXXXX when I try to access the drive, it will ask me to enter 48 digit recovery key. Which I do not have. Where as I have all the details like serial number, etc... to prove that this drive belongs to me. Can I get help to get the 48 digit recovery key?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Lindie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still waiting your answer.

What if you could not find answer and I need to close? Do i still have tinpay?

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. If you don't receive an answer, your deposit is 100% refundable.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Lindie

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you today.

BitLocker is an encryption program and a pin is required for accessing the data in some situations. If the pin number is XXXXX available we can reset the pin by following the steps described at:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771778(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_UnknownPIN

Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.

In Control Panel, click Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.

In the BitLocker Control Panel item, click Manage BitLocker Keys, and then click Reset the PIN.

If the above official Microsoft steps do not solve the issue follow the steps described at:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21433-bitlocker-recovery-unlock-drive-windows-8-a.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will this destroy the data that I have in my external hard disk?

If I could explain again I encrypted my external hard disk (wd) using windows 7 computer. But I cannot access it from my windows 8 computer. I remember the password XXXXX not recovery key which the system asks now.

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 1 year ago.
The suggestions I made will not delete or destroy your data.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is asking me to provide recovery key which I don't have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is helping. Except asking me to enter a 48 digit recovery key no other thing is working

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 1 year ago.
If you can't find your recovery key (due to formatting computer or upgrading) the only way to continue to use the drive is by formatting it. Formatting will remove the encryption but will delete your personal data from the drive. While encryption helps protect your data against unauthorized access, it also prevents you from ever accessing your data again if the key is lost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is of no help to me. I donot have recovery password XXXXX need help to get it

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Rachel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pls cancel my question.