businesslegions
businesslegions, IT Consultant
Experience:  An IT Consultant with over 10 years experience
72952988

I have Office 2010 that I use for outlook on my computer (The

Customer Question

I have Office 2010 that I use for outlook on my computer (The Server we use that is managed by the Telco who can't manage Office 2013) I have also loaded Office 2013 and use this for PowerPoint, XL and Word, NOT Outlook.
I have Microsoft Dynamics, if I try to synchronise with Outlook, it goes to Microsoft 2013, I want it to go to Microsoft 2010 (Outlook) as this is the only Outlook activated.

How can I do this please? Thanks Gary Tescher
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gary, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry to inform you that you cannot have two (2) versions of Outlook in one computer at the same time. That is, if you installed MS Office 2013 with Outlook over your MS Office 2010, the Outlook 2010 will be removed during the installation process so you will end up with Outlook 2013.

During installation, Microsoft showed a notice in the installation screen like this that many users can easily ignore:

===========
Outlook: Some things to consider
Before you install Outlook, you must remove any earlier version of Outlook, because two versions of Outlook can’t be on the same computer. If you want to keep an earlier version of Outlook, you must choose on the Installation Options tab to not install Microsoft Outlook 2013.

If you choose not to install Outlook 2013, the version of Outlook you kept won’t use Microsoft Word as its email editor. You’ll use the Outlook email editor instead and not be able to use the features in the Word email editor.
===========

Therefore, if you want to keep your Outlook 2010, during installation, you must UNCHECK or de-select MS Outlook so that only the other Office 2013 software will be installed AND NOT Outlook 2013. This is a CUSTOM installation approach that you can perform when you install any MS Office software.

Now that your Outlook 2010 is gone, there are two (2) options that you can do from here:

First, you can keep your Outlook 2013 and configure your emails there since by default all your emails and data from Outlook 2010 are now accessible in your new Outlook 2013.

Second, you can redo the entire process. Uninstall Office 2013, then reinstall it BUT this time, please UNCHECK or de-select Outlook to exclude it from being installed. This is the only way that you can keep your Outlook 2010 with other Office 2013 applications.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess, thanks for your reply. Sorry I did not explain the issue properly. At the moment, for what-ever reason Outlook 2010 works well with Office 2013, no issues. The problem is that Microsoft Dynamics (CRM Package) locks into Outlook 2013 (Which has NOT been set-up) rather than Outlook 2010. Is there a flag I can set in Microsoft Dynamics that will get around this issue so that it only looks for data from Outlook 2010 rather than 2013 please? The problem is around Microsoft Dynamics CRM, not outlook, Thanks, Gary

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Gary,

Are you saying that you can open Outlook 2010 normally in that computer? And you can also open Outlook 2013 as well?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can open them both and they both will correctly download emails

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gary,

I am sorry if I was not able to help. I am not familiar with MS Dynamics so I can not duplicate the issue or try some settings because I don't have that software in my machine.

Please let me opt out so that other experts can help you further.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess, thanks, will this request for help be automatically passed to another expert for help please? Thanks Gary

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes Gary. This question is now open for other experts. They can respond to you at any time.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess,

Great, thanks for your help and perseverance, Gary

Expert:  businesslegions replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gary,

My name is Marco and I'll try to assist you with this issue.

Can you please tell me the version of Dynamics CRM you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using the web based version of Microsoft Dynamics

Can you try the following:

i'm assuming you're using Internet Explorer:

Click on the wheel at the top right
Click on Internet Options
Click on programs
Click on Set programs
For outlook can you see which version is listed there?

If there's two then select outlook 2010 and select Set this program as default.

Let me know if this does or doesn't work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried what you suggested - Microsoft Outlook 2010 is the only one selected, called Outlook (desktop)

Are you able to provide me with a screenshot of the set you default programs?

If you cannot, then is the Outlook Icon Blue or yellow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The outlook icon is yellow, Microsoft Dynamics (2011 version) is also in the " Add Ins" and active, does this help? I have also noticed that when I use Word or XL and try to send an email directly (Right Click send) then it tells me that outlook is inactive (So I guess it's looking for Outlook 2013) I can hover using the paperclip attach a file in the normal way

Just confirming, when you installed office 2013, did you select the option to install outlook 2013 or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know how to disable the installation, I just inserted the disk and off it went. Should I remove Office 2013 and start again (But please tell him how to avoid installing Outlook 2013)

yes, try to uninstall. Then test dynamics and see if it works with just outlook 2010.

Then when you install 2013 click on customize and then deselect outlook 2013.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I have removed Outlook 2013, it comes up with the error message, "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action, please install an email program or if one is already installed create an association in the default program panel" , what does this mean please?

it means that the OS hasn't registered outlook 2010. How did you install outlook 2010? Is it listed under the programs as well?

If it has click on repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I installed Outlook 2010 with the Microsoft disk, I only got this message after I removed 2013, I will do the repair function now

ok let me know how you go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well done, that error message disappeared. I will now reinstall Dynamics, I am fairly confident it will work, it's midnight here now so I will report back in the morning and then ask you how to reinstall Outlook 2013 without the disc starting by itself and doping the install

ok no worries speak to you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have reinstalled Microsoft Dynamics with Outlook 2010, works perfectly, the only part I need help with now please is to reinstall Office 2013 without Outlook from the disc, the disc just starts itself, I have no control. Thanks Gary

Which version of windows are you using.

You may need to disable autorun.

Without the CD in, right click the D: and then click options

Is there anything in there to disable autorun/autostart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

minor problem, outlook 2010 now locks up, I removed Dynamics and repaired office 2010 and outlook works again, am afraid to reinstall dynamics, any ideas

have you restarted the computer after removing dynamics?

try to download the latest version of dynamics for outlook 2010

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I did restart the computer after removing dynamics, very strange as it now won't open attachments (Power-point) but will open Word and XL files. I reloaded Office 2010 and it still won't open Power-point files as attachments. Any ideas?

Is powerpoint 2010 installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is, works on its own when it's not an email attachment

If you save the attachment and then double click on it does it open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it doesn't.

it must have lost it's association.

On the powerpoint file that you saves to the computer, right click and select open with. Then click open with. Then select a program from a list of installed programs.
The look for powerpoint 2010 on the list. If it's not listed there click on browse and go to the powerpoint 2010.exe file. Then select OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Power-point 2010 is on the list but it won't open correctly. If I open it from the desktop icon, power-point opens correctly but it won't open Power Point files emailed by outlook

Sorry when i mean the powerpoint file, it's the .ppt the file you saved as an attachment or any powerpoint files that are on your computer. Not the actual powerpoint program.

Right click on that, the select open with. Then click open with. Then select a program from a list of installed programs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it took a while to respond, I went to be, it was 1am here, the power point symbols is there but it won't open correctly. As soon as the file was attached to an outlook message its corrupted

Are all the ppt files corrupted then or is that the only one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it's only the Power Point files that are attached to outlook messages, all others are OK. Any power point documents in "My Documents" a re fine, I can still open them. The "Corrupted" files from outlook still convert OK into Adobe files and can be read as per normal. Its just they can't be opened after being attached to an email message

Can you please try this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2387587
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, you are a machine and work 24 hours - Tried that, the response was that the Microsoft fix does not work with the Windows 8 operating system

Sorry I didn't realise you had Windows 8.

Have you tried the manual option listed on the website?

1. Click Start, type dcomcnfg in the Search box, and then click dcomcnfg in the Programs list.
  2. In the navigation pane, expand Component Services, expand Computers, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
  3. Open the Default Properties tab and set the following values:
  4. Click OK.

If that doesn't work then please try these steps:

• Open PowerPoint 2010.
  • Now Click on the File tab.
  • On the left hand side click Options
  • This should bring up the "PowerPoint Options" dialog. On the left hand side click on "Trust Center."
  • This brings up a pane that has several sections. The bottom section is called "Microsoft PowerPoint Trust Center." There is a button there labeled "Trust Center Settings..." Press that button.
  • This brings up a "Trust Center" dialog. Along the left hand side select "Protected View."