Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

Hello, We have recently installed a new PC in our office,

Customer Question

We have recently installed a new PC in our office, it runs Office XP Pro 2002. We have 3 other machines running the same software without any problems, but this one now does not want to open (or scrambles) excel attachments that are sent via email, or sometimes the attachment "falls off". I have installed the compatibility pack, a xlxs opening patch etc, but no luck. The emails arrive at our Mail Server just fine and I am able to open them there, but not from the PC once downloaded to the PC. Is there a security setting or anything else that I can check or reset? I have had my local techie look at it, but after 3 months, still not fixed.... and he is giving up on me! Do you have any other ideas, it would be really appreciated......
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXX XXX I am glad to assist you today.

Is this computer running on Windows XP also or you have VIsta or 7?
Also, do you have MS Word and PowerPoint in the same Office XP installation and are these two other programs working normally?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for your reply. The operating system on this particular PC is Windows 7, the other pc's that run without any problem are on XP.

The troubled PC is indeed also running word, which is running fine, and Powerpoint is alo there, but we do not use this feature. Thanks for your help, we are at a loss.......

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

Thank you for writing back. Is this happening only with Excel files transmitted through emails? What about shared files? For instance you have a file in PC 1 or 2, try to copy that Excel file to this problem PC through a USB. Then open it in Excel. Is the problem showing up?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Happy Independence Day! We do not have this over here in NZ, hope you are still enjoying the holiday......

We'll call the problem PC: PC1 and my PC: PC 2

You are on the right track, the problem only occurs when receiving emails on PC 1 from our suppliers with the excel form attached. (We use these to enter order requirements and send them back to supplier). In fact if the same supplier sends the email to PC 2 it opens fine. If I forward the same email from PC 2 to PC 1 it will then open also. I am wondering if XP on PC 2 does some sort of conversion that windows 7 on PC 1 does not?

Sometimes the email is received on PC 1 with no visible attachment, but instead has lots of scrambled script in the actual message content......PC 2 does not have that problem.

Hope you can make sense of the confusion, thank you,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

Thank you for writing back. Happy Independence Day to you as well!

By the way, what is your email program in PC 1? Are you using MS Outlook XP, 2000, 2003, etc? Or are you using a web browser to access your emails in PC 1 where you get the Excel attachments?

One more thing, please try this in PC 1: DO NOT double click the downloaded Excel file to open it. Instead, open MS Excel, click on File => Open. Then locate the downloaded file. See then if it loads just fine.

Keep me posted.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PC 1 is running Outlook 2002 (as is PC 2). All our emails come through our domain name and are automatically sent to our 6 email adresses within the domain. When I mentioned going to the Mail server in my earlier email, I meant the Telephone Company Server, (is this the web browser?) where a copy of all our mail is kept. As I mentioned, if I logon to that Webmail site, I can open the attachment at that point......

I have opened Excel on PC 1, and the file is shown as a workbook, but when I try to open it I get a message saying: "unable to open, check spelling, check if this file has not been renamed/moved/deleted". Thanks for your help so far, I hope we are headed in the right direction? Regards,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cornelia,

Thank you for writing back. No, the web browser that I was referring to is the program that you used to access internet like Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome. When you log in to your Webmail you are using a browser. But you also mentioned that you are using MS Outlook.

Now you mentioned also that you tried to open Excel first then opening the file. What did you mean by "the file is shown as a workbook", are you saying that when you open Excel and click on File => Open, you saw your file there in the dialog box with the Excel icon? But then when you open it you got the error "unable to open, check spelling, check if this file has not been renamed/moved/deleted".

Now, in the OPEN dialog box of Excel (when you click File => Open, this is the dialog box that I referred to), is the file listed there only a shortcut or the actual file? Here is a sample icon of a shortcut to an Excel file.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Please notice the "arrow" in the icon which indicates that it is a shortrcut.

One more thing, still in the OPEN dialog box, please check IF the Excel file that you are referring to has the .LNK extension. That means that it is NOT an Excel file but a link to an Excel file. So if the actual file is moved to another location, you will get the error that you got there.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Getting pretty intricate now: PC 1 is using Yahoo for a browser, (should I change that?) PC 2 is using internet explorer and both use Outlook for email.

Now with the Excel, sorry for the confusion, when I mentioned workbook I meant the drop down on the far right. When I try to open from the workbook list, I get the: unable to open etc error

I have now opted for the click on the File/Open option on the Excel menu and this links to a Document folder and the files are shown there. The files do not have the shortcut. I have tried to open one of the files that we are unable to open in Outlook email. This particular one (which we have played around with for some time) is listed twice, neither one is a shortcut, but one is an xlxs doc and the other an xls doc. I am able to open the xlxs doc from there, but not the xls. (Error message : this is un unrecognizable format). None of the documents have a .LNK extension.

Let me know if should change to Internet Explorer, and which version? Thank you,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

Thank you for writing back. It appears now that you are able to open the Excel file using File => Open method, except that one file returned an error being unrecognized format. The problem here could be the file itself. Is the icon of this problem file an "Excel" icon? Or an MS Word icon? (Excel icon has a green x while Word icon has a blue w).

By the way, are you able to open these 2 files in PC 2? Please try to copy the 2 files in a USB drive and try to open it in PC 2 and see if it will open there.

Also, can you send me a copy of the file that won't open? If this is possible, please visit the link below then upload the file there. No need to register, just upload the file and then wait for the page to change and locate the 6-digit File ID or the download link:

http://wikisend.com

For more information on how to use wikisend, click on this link below:
http://www.technicalforum.org/windows/how-easily-share-files-using-wikisend

Now, regarding your Yahoo browser, you can keep that. I believe you have Internet Explorer that is optimized for Yahoo. That is alright.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am unable to copy the "file" to USB to test,and am sending you one of the emails so you can see why.........

Here is the copy of the email from our PC 1. This would normally come through with a message in the body of the email and an excel attachment. We now do not receive an attachment (that we would normally open etc.) but we have this cryptic text instead. Does this help to identify the problem? Regards,

-----Original Message-----

From: Sue Crampton [

mailto:XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]

Sent: Tuesday, 2 July 2013 4:45 p.m.

Subject: FW: Mens Targhee Mid & Targhee Shoe

Return-Path: <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX>

Received: from aamta04.nz.eds.com ([203.152.101.167]) by mta02.xtra.co.nz

with ESMTP

id <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX>;

Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:45:35 +1200

Received: from smtp-out3.slb.compass.net.nz ([203.152.101.167])

by aamta04.nz.eds.com with ESMTP

id <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX>;

Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:45:35 +1200

Received: from mail.ivasp.com (unknown [203.152.119.193])

by smtp-out3.slb.compass.net.nz (Postfix) with ESMTP id AD974114200;

Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:45:31 +1200 (NZST)

Received: from SGRDEXH005.CMS.Local ([10.80.3.23]) by SGRDEXH002.CMS.Local

([10.80.2.22]) with mapi; Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:45:24 +1200

From: Sue Crampton <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX>

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:45:28 +1200

Thread-Topic: Mens Targhee Mid & Targhee Shoe

Thread-Index: Ac523uhg8IlR5BdjQaCse+qyLqtXrQAAATOw

Message-ID: <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXXl>

Accept-Language: en-US, en-NZ

Content-Language: en-US

X-MS-Has-Attach: yes

X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:

acceptlanguage: en-US, en-NZ

Content-Type: multipart/related;

boundary="_005_60A20AE73190D34F9EA2815423642BFF3E11119474SGRDEXH005CMS_";

type="multipart/alternative"

MIME-Version: 1.0

To: undisclosed-recipients:;

--_005_60A20AE73190D34F9EA2815423642BFF3E11119474SGRDEXH005CMS_

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="_000_60A20AE73190D34F9EA2815423642BFF3E11119474SGRDEXH005CMS_"

--_000_60A20AE73190D34F9EA2815423642BFF3E11119474SGRDEXH005CMS_

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

HI

I thought I would let you know that we do have stock of the Men's Targhee M= id & Low in sizes 11, 11.5, 12, 13, unfortunately the VR I have sent out= does say no stock. I do apologise.

Thanks

Sue Crampton

Customer Service

AGI Australasia Ltd.

Unit G XX XXXXX XXXXX, Albany

P.O. Box 301064, Albany 0752, New Zealand

p: +64 9 XXX XXXX f: +64 9 XXX XXXX

www.keenfootwear.co.nz<http://www.keenfootwear.co.nz>

www.underarmour.com<http://www.underarmour.com>

www.avia.com<http://www.avia.com> www.and1.com<http://www.and1.com> [cid:XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]<https://www.facebook.com/keenfootwearn=

z> Like KEEN Footwear NZ<https://www.facebook.com/keenfootwearnz>

[cid:XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]<https://www.facebook.com/underarmournz=

> Like Under Armour NZ<https://www.facebook.com/underarmournz>

[cid:XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]

DISCLAIMER: This electronic message, together with any attachments, was cre= ated solely for the use of the intended recipient(s), and may be confidential. Views expressed may be those of the = individual sender and are not necessarily endorsed by AGI Australasia Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient, ple= ase advise us by return e-mail that you have received the message in error and then delete it. Do not copy, disclose or = use the contents in any way. P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

I do not see any clue of the problem in the email extract you sent. But are you saying that you just download the attachment from the email every time you want to open the Excel file? But you can do it just once. When an email contains attachments, download the attached file and then save it in your computer. Then open the downloaded file any time you want it without going to the email message.

Regarding the problem xls file, can you try copying it again to your USB to test in PC 2 or upload it at wikisend.com?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Look like we are coming to a dead end here. As I mentioned, on PC 2 we are able to open attachments and the emails that are sent from the suppliers to PC 2 come through as email plus attachment. However the same email sent to PC 1 results in the scrambled message in the body of the email, as per the sample I have already sent. The attachments are xls files..... There is no "attachment" for me to copy to USB or upload to wikisend...........

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

So you are saying that in PC 2, there shows an attachment that you can open, but in PC 1, no attachment is shown to even download?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's right. PC 1 receives the identical email, from the same sender, no paperclip showing, no attachment to open, and with the body of the email filled with scrambled text. PC 2 receives the same email just fine, with the (paperclip indicating the) attachment, and can open the attachment without any problem....... As I mentioned, on the Webmail Server, the emails come through fine for both the PC's and we can open them there, but once downloaded to the PC (as normally happens) we have the above problem..

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

I believe the problem here is with your Outlook's encoding for incoming email and it is not a problem with Excel. The fact that the attachment is NOT showing up, it is an issue with your Outlook.

Please give this a try:
  1. Try to FORWARD the email with the missing attachment, is the attachment showing up?
  2. Also, let us test if the problem is from the sender's end, not from you. Using PC 1, try to send an email with an attachment to PC 2 and see if the attachment is received. Try attaching a Word file (.doc). Is the attachment received? Try attaching an Excel file (.xls). Is the attachment received?

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok done that. PC 1 can forward attachments both Word and Excel to PC 2 and PC 2 can open all documents.

Forwarding the "scrambled" Excel document, I know what you mean, but no it did not "show up" and it forwarded with the same scrambled text.... Remember that PC 2 can receive this same email from the supplier all OK. Regards,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

Is the email address in PC 1 the same with the email address in PC 2? The fact that PC 2 can receive Word and Excel attachments from PC 1 indicates that the your Outlook in PC 1 is working just fine so the problem could be from the sender.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Each PC has it's own email address. I do not think it is the sender, since PC 2 can receive everything just fine, and these same emails are literally sent to dozens of outlets.......

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

If it is not the sender, then PC 1 shall not be able to receive the attachments sent by PC 2. This is strange. The point is, is PC 1 only having problem receiving emails with attachments FROM a single sender? Or at random sender?

Also, have you tried using another email program to test if the problem is with Outlook or with the email message itself? For instance, you can install Thunderbird in your PC 1, then setup the email you have in Outlook in Thunderbird. Just make sure that during the setup in Outlook, (or you need to reconfigure your email account in Outlook), check the option "Leave message on server" so that Thunderbird can still download the same email message. Make sure also that in Thunderbird, you check the option to "Leave message on the server" so that Outlook can still get the email should Thunderbird first downloads them.

Please give that a try and see if Thunderbird is able to get the email without any problem.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Your last comment did get me thinking, since we only have this problem with a few of our suppliers and always when they send us bulk email, ie same emails sent to lots of different customers including ourselves. I have uninstalled and reinstalled our virus checker on PC1 and have this morning received one of the problem emails - coming through OK! I will await a few more of these emails and let you know how it goes......... regards,

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

Thank you for writing back. Yes, this is a special scenario since, a tricky one I should say because the same version of Outlook is working on another computer.

So it appears that the email attachments are stripped when they arrived in your Outlook Inbox. When your supplier send a bulk mail, Outlook may strip attachment because it is most likely to filter unwanted emails from bulk mail sender since it will automatically detect it as a spam. But if you set the supplier's email as NOT Spam, then the attachment should not be stripped.

Yes, you can try disabling your antivirus software, or updating it. Normally, it is the antivirus software that is capable of stripping attachments from email as part of its protection algorithm.

With that setting now, please give it some time and test if the problem will not re-occur.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, it seems we can now receive and open most emails including the excel attachments. The only exception are emails from suppliers that are sent as a bulk email. Do you have any idea if we could perhaps re-set any of the filter options? There are quite a few, some of them a bit cryptic, so not sure which ones to tick/untick.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Cornelia,

Thank you for writing back. I am glad that you are now able to receive emails with attachments this time. Regarding problems when supplier sends bulk email, I suggest that you add these suppliers in your trusted email list and ensure that the supplier's domain is not listed in the block list.

Jess