Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

I have two ranges of information, given that a criteria is

I have two ranges of information, given that a criteria is met in range B, I want to count the number of matches in range A....
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Can you give me a copy (just use dummy data or remove confidential info) of the Excel file you are working on? If this is possible, you can upload the file to this link below:

There is no need to register at wikisend, simply upload the file and gime the the download link or the 6-digit File ID so that I can download your sample file.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the file number is XXXXX

I got the file. Are you working on the JE Tracker sheet? Also, can you please tell me these info:
  1. What is your range B? (Include sheet name please)
  2. What is your range A? (Include sheet name please)
  3. Lastly, what criteria do you need that will count the matches in range A when it is met in range B?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Range B is column G on sheet 'Corporate JEs' June

Range A is column F on the same sheet

I want to count the number of documents in colum A for a corresponding close day i.e. -4, -3, 2, 3 in colum B

The 'Corporate JEs' June is protected. Can you give me a copy of a file with a non-protected 'Corporate JEs' June sheet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the password XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment to figure this out. I will be back with the results. I am working on this now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Terence,

Thank you for patiently waiting. I have completed the revised file to do the count for you. In this scenario, we need to use an array formula in order to count using multiple rules. That is, only count the data in F if the criteria for G is satisfied.

I do not know where you intend to display the count results so I just placed it at the buttom of column F. The formula I used is:

Please note that I used a reference to G209 for the criteria for column G. If you want to hardcode it to the formula, just change G209 to that filter criteria like:

That will count non-blank cells in F where G is equal to 4.

There are limitations here and that includes the necessity that column F shall be set to numbers.

Here is the completed file: Close Checklist_rev1.xlsx

In this file, you just need to enter the value in G209 to count for.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,