Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

Hi DJ I am using Publisher 2007. I have a large file which

Customer Question

Hi DJ
I am using Publisher 2007. I have a large file which suddenly will not let me insert a text box or copy an existing one. It says ther is not enough memory to paste objects. However, it will allow me to insert and copy pictures. Please help.
regards

Dougie
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXX XXX I am glad to assist you today.

What is the actual file size of this problem PUB file? Also, in you try to open a new and blank PUB file, are you able to insert text boxes normally? This is to test if the problem is with this specific PUB file or your Publisher software itself.

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess

I do hope you can help. The file is 22mbs. I can insert boxes in new projects. The problem is just the same on different computers.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dougie,

Thank you for writing back. Can you send the file to me so that I can check it myself and perform some fixes? If it is possible, please upload a copy of the problem PUB file in http://wikisend.com. No need to register there, just upload the file and then give me the download link or the 6-digit File ID.

Also, is this happening when inserting text box in a specific page? Or in ANY pages in the PUB file? Try to insert a text box in ealier pages like Page 3 to 10 and see if you can do it without the error.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's any page.

I got the size wrong it is 218 mbs and therefore will not upload.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess

What's happening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Don,

Thank you for writing back. 218mb if pub is indeed a huge file that is very prone to corruption. Also, your software (Publisher) may require huge amount of system resources to load and work with the file.

Please give me some time to check your file.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cutdown file will accept text boxes so it looks like a size problemdoes it not?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dougie,

Thank you for writing back. I got your file and it is quite huge despite the fact that it is only a part of your original publication.

Yes, I have checked the publication and there were minor design issues. They are but minor and it will not affect the behavior of the file or of Publisher. To see this minor issues in your Publisher 2007, open the file in your Publisher, and then click on Tools => Design Checker.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Back to your issue, I really believe that this is caused by the very big size of your project. Being 218MB is too big for a single publication. Since publications normally have embedded images in them, the file can easily bloat. To manage the file size of your publications and to avoid erratic behavior of the MS Publisher software, I highly recommend that you break or divide your publications by chapter or by section. It is like dividing the whole publication into smaller pieces. The good part here is that you can keep your files within reasonable sizes for MS Publisher to work correctly.

Why is Publisher erratic with your 218MB file? Basically, when this huge file is loaded, it consumes a lot of system resources leaving almost mo room for additional changes in the file that are system-resource hungry. In your case, it is inserting the text box. In other people's case, it is embedding images. The effects vary on the condition of the computer and the actual huge size of the file.

However, there is one thing that you can do to increase your computer's performance to be able to handle huge files in Publisher. However, if the loaded PUB file is too big, this will not correct the problem. The goal is to maximize your virtual memory if you are using Windows operating system. Here are the steps:
  1. Click Start then right click on "Computer" then click on Properties. If there is "Computer" (or My Computer in Windows XP) in your desktop screen, you can right click on that icon then click on Properties.
  2. In Windows 7, locate Advanced System settings link in the left panel and click on it.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

3. In the dialog box that appears, under Performance, click on the Settings button. It will give you a new dialog box.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

4. In the new dialog box, under virtual memory, click on Change button. Again, you will get a new dialog box here.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

5. In the new dialog box that opens, UNCHECK the option to "Automatically manage the paging file size" for drive C. Then click to select "Custom size" option. For the Initial size box, enter the value you see in "Currently allocated" below. In Maximum size, enter "Recommended size" below as well. See my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

6. Click OK. and then click OK or Apply in the other dialog boxes. Restart your computer then test your big PUB file.

However, if your hard disk drive has limited free space, you cannot maximize your paging file like the procedures I gave you above and your best and only option left is to divide the bug file into smaller chunks.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated!

Register Here

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but i am no further forward. I had already tried all the things you suggested before I asked you. None of it works. You should have known that Publisher had problemswith big files and told me at the start. I do not believe i have had value for money.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Dougie,

Thank you for writing back. I am sorry if this confused you but I asked you for the copy of the file since you first mentioned that the size is just 22MB.

When you then told me that the actual size is 218MB, then that signal the truth of the matter. The actual cause of the problem is the actual size of the problem file. There is nothing you or me can do about this since this is some limitaiton of a Microsoft software working on such huge file size. And what I can do for you in this case is to offer an advise on how to resolve the file size issue.

I know your frustrations in this case and I what I just gave you was logical explanation of the scenario and how it can be avoided in the future. If you were'nt satisfied with my service or answer, I cencerely apologize.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, please let me know. I will be happy to help. You can reply to this post any time even after your rating.

Register Here

Best regards,
Jess