Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

Using Excel 2010 I am having a problem with protecting the

Customer Question

Using Excel 2010 I am having a problem with protecting the workbook.
If the workbook is not protected it view in a full excel window
If the workbook is protected it opens in a smaller window within a full Excel window.
The icon indicates that it is a full size window.
There is also no way to expand the window
The template needs to open up in a full size window when simply double clicking on the file name
Note the file is saved as .SLTM
How can this be accomplished?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your request. Can you give me even a dummy of a non-protected workbook so that I can protect it and test if I can duplicate your problem? You can upload the file to wikisend.com then give me the download link or the 6-digit File ID.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here are 3 file ids,

• File ID: 144734

• File ID: 666260

• File ID: 402458

The problem has fixed itself

I did tested the file I uploaded and it opened fine

I opened the original file and it still opened incorrectly

I emailed the file to myself and it opened fine,.

The I opened the original file again and this time it opened correctly

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Dennis,

I am glad that the templates you have there are now working. In this case, it could have been an Excel settings that has refreshed after opening and closing MS Excel. If you experience the problem again, just try to close and open Excel to correct the problem. Also, you can restart the computer to refresh Excel.

If the problem continues, you can perform a cleanup of your computer eliminating cached data that caused applications to behave erratically.

Thank you. If you need assistance in the future, please let me know, I will be very happy to help.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can not seem to figure it out.

I rebooted the computer as you suggested.

Opened the file and it opened in an undersized window.

I created an email and attached the file and sent it to myself

I open it from the email and it opens correctly

I save the emailed file as .xltm and open that and it opens incorrectly

I also tried to save as .xlsm and add the same problem

I trying to save in the default format the expected error message comes up telling to to save in a micro enabled format

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I finally discovered the problem

When protecting the workbook and check the "windows" box as well as the default structure box

By simply not checking the windows box, the problem was solved and I still accomplished what I wanted of not allowing addition windows to be opened

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Dennis,

If you want to protect the workbook, I suggest that you select the "structure" only and uncheck windows. See screen shot:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

This is the default behavior of protecting the file with a password XXXXXXX affecting how the file will be rendered in Excel windows. Please give it a try.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry you did not see my second response before replying to my first

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dennis,

I am sorry to miss that reply. So I believe you have already tried that? That is good. I believe that your Excel files are now protected and are now behaving normally.

If you need more help, just reply to me here so that I can assist you further.

Thank you.
Jess