NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

Hi there, is there a way to create a formula / link that will

Customer Question

Hi there, is there a way to create a formula / link that will populate different sections of an individual cell in excel?

ie

stock option code

AAPL^^14011800400000

where each section represents a different portion of this particular option code.
ie aapl - stock, 140118 - expiry date, 400 - strike price
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

Can you give me a dummy or sample Excel file for me to work on your required formula? You can upload the sample file to wikisend.com, then give me the download link or 6-digit File ID so that I can get your file.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

File ID 438770

Lines 168-170 will give you an idea.

This spread sheet has a link to real time stock market data.

I would like the option symbol in A168-A329 to be able to change with fluctuations in the price and the expiry date of the stocks option.

eg

AA^^^^140118C00007000

where AA^^^^ - is the stock's code plus 3 filler characters ( NB this section needs to be total 6 characters ie stock code 1- 4 letters and remaining "^" character to total 6. eg2 AAPL^^14011800390000

140118 is the expiry date

C is the "call" or "put" status

00007 is the call strike ie 7.

remaining three 0's are for decimal places

Is this enough info?

thanks

glen

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glen,

Thank you for that information. I got the file. Please give me a moment to check the problem. I will get back to you with more questions or with the desired formula.

Regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Glen,

I am not able to see the other important data in the Excel file since it is being referenced from another file called the HoadleyOptions.xla file.

Can you send a copy of that file to me? Or simply copy the data as "values" so that even if I don't have the XLA file, I can see those data.

This link can help you do the pasting of the values:
http://www.technicalforum.org/ms-office/excel-20072010-power-shortcuts-converting-cell-formulas-values

Here is my screen shot of the problem showing missing data:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apologies,

Try this.

File ID 358168

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Glen,

I got the file. Give me a moment to check it for your required formula or functionality.

Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Glen,

I saw cells A168 to A170. What are required here? Do you want to fill out cells B, C, D and E based on the data in A?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to fill in column A based on some values that you can extract from columns C and E.

Perhaps some for of regular expression so the underlined regions express C and E

AAPL^^140118P00390000

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Glen,

Some information are lacking. The sample you gave me was AAPL^^140118P00390000. In this code:

AAPL^^ => Where will I get this?
140118 => This is from C
P => This is the PUT status, where will I get this info? Is it in B?
390 => This is in E
000 => Appended

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Regards,
Jess