Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have a template that was created for dropdowns. I have some

I have a template that was created for dropdowns. I have some vendors that can not open the dropdowns or see them, except on windows xp. How can this sheet be converted to show the drop downs for everone?
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you referring to an MS Excel template? What version was this template created? What version of Excel are you using now?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to send you the template. I am not sure what system was used to create it, but 2 of my 12 vendors could not see the drop downs, and I need everybody to be able to see and use.

How can I send you the actual template?

Hi Janice,

Thank you for writing back. In order to send me a copy of the template, please go to http://wikisend.com then upload the template file there. No need to register to wikisend, just upload the file then wait for the screen to show the 6-digit file ID. Post the ID or the download link when you reply so that I can download your file.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

http://wikisend.com/download/260720/Jewelry Template 6-20-13.xlsx

Janice,

I got the file. Are you saying that people with Windows 7 mostly don't get the dropdowns in your template?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, and I don't understand, because I have 7 home addition and I can see them.

Alright, please give me a moment while I give you the procedures to correct the problem. One moment please.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok

Janice,

I have Excel 2007 and 2010 here. The Data Validation that controls the display of these drop down arrows are working in my Excel 2010 but not in 2007.

Are the people having problems with your template those using Excel 2007 also? I am checking the compatibility issue here. I will keep you posted.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They probably are using 2007.

Janice,

This is indeed a known problem with Data Validation across Excel versions. That is, if you created the file in Excel 2010 with Data Validation, then this data validation will only work flawlessly with Excel 2010. It won't work with Excel 2007 and other versions.

There are two (2) options for you here. First is to re-create the template doing it in Excel 2007 and allow people with Excel 2007 to use it. The second option is to name the ranges of your data source.

Please give me a moment while I do the second option for you. I will give you back the modified Excel template.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you mean you will send back the template and it will work for all?

Yes. I am re-doing it now since it now (just copying to new sheets) since it is password XXXXX Please give me a moment. I will send the file that will work with Excel 2007 and 2010 and other versions.

Thanks,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

Janice,

It's done. The file can be downloaded here:
http://wikisend.com/download/237842/Jewelry_Caption_rev1.xlsx

I recreated the file but I copied and pasted the data. What I then did was to NAME the ranges of the data in the DATA tab. For instance, please select the range A3:A4 in the DATA tab, it will show the name Cat there. I made a name for all columns then recreated the Data Validation. When selecting the range in the Data tab, the formula is automatically using the NAME of the range.

I have tested it and it now works on 2007 and 2010 Excel.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I just click on this link and save this document? I would like to send it to my vendor who could not use it, and get back to the rating?

Janice,

Yes, please download the file from the link I gave you. I did not protect that file. Please protect it the way you do with your Excel file, then send it to your people.

It will surely work. I tested that in my Excel 2007 and 2010 and 2003 Cool Yes, you can rate my answer any time.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess