businesslegions
businesslegions, IT Consultant
Experience:  An IT Consultant with over 10 years experience
72952988

I upgraded a file from .doc to .docx now the hyperlinks dont

Customer Question

I upgraded a file from .doc to .docx now the hyperlinks don't work. Is there an easy way of correcting without going into every hyperlinl
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  businesslegions replied 1 year ago.

businesslegions :

Hi there,

businesslegions :

My name is Marco and I'll be assisting you with this issue.

businesslegions :

PLEASE NOTE: If this chat is idle for 5 minutes (no messages received by either party) it times out. If you do login to this chat and it appears I'm offline, please leave me a message here and I'll connect as soon as I can.

businesslegions :

Do you still have the original .doc file?

businesslegions :

What you can do is in the .doc file do a select all, then open a new document that is docx and paste it in there. Let me know if this doesn't work for you

Customer :

Hi

Customer :

No I don't have the original file, and have tried several ways to convert it back to no avail

businesslegions :

you can type that in the command prompt

Customer :

No I don't have the original file and have tried all sorts to convert it back but to no avail!!

businesslegions :

ok

businesslegions :

with the docx file

businesslegions :

if you do a select all and copy it to a new document will that work?

Customer :

I will try it and see what happens

Customer :

That didn't work plus all the other formatting fell apart! I write operations and procedures manuals and some of the files are quire large

businesslegions :

ok

businesslegions :

what happens when you restart the computer into safe mode

businesslegions :

does the same thing happen

Customer :

tried that. One of the problems is that I have been working on this document for a week, I assumed the hyperlinks would have converted with the document but alas! Just another one of MS problems that drives me nuts!!!

businesslegions :

yeah i had someone else who had the same issue

businesslegions :

the fix was to copy the content from the old document to a new one

businesslegions :

but in your case you don't have the .doc file

Customer :

Have you any other suggestions or do I have to go through and change every link - probably 1000 of them!!!

businesslegions :

i remember seeing a piece of software that tried fixing it

businesslegions :

but it costed money

businesslegions :

also what is the actual hyperlink that it changed to when it got converted to docx?

Customer :

It just refused to open link. However just found if I opened the .docx document and "Saved as" a ".doc" document it converted it back and the hyperlink worked!!! This maybe the only solution.

businesslegions :

ok great

businesslegions :

also try doing a select all

businesslegions :

then copy to a new document

businesslegions :

and saving as docx and see if that makes a difference

Customer :

I think the problem with Word is that it is OK for amateurs and folks that just want to do simple stuff but when one gets into the sophisticated functions it is full of problems and getting help is difficult. One goes to an MS school and finds out that I have more knowledge about Word than the tutor - all very frustrating!!

businesslegions :

yes i agree

businesslegions :

especially for large documents

businesslegions :

with lots of information, links, table, etc

businesslegions :

how did you go

businesslegions :

do you need further help or you're happy to stick with .doc

Customer :

They all worked once it was converted back to .doc I did try doing a "Replace .docx with .doc" but that only works in the main document, not in hyperlinks. I would be interest to know if there is another way of globally changing .docx to .doc

businesslegions :

sorry what do you mean by globally changing .docx to .doc?

Customer :

like going to "Replace .docx with doc." I thought perhaps somewhere buried in Word there was a link or a way of doing it.

businesslegions :

the only way to do it is save as

Customer :

I thought I was going to change all my documents to the new .docx format but alas, like a lot of the new MS stuff quite often it is a step backwards!!

businesslegions :

yes

businesslegions :

was there any other questions?

Customer :

No, under control now thanks

businesslegions :

are you able to rate my services