NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

Keep getting a "Cannot start MS Office Outlook. Cannot open

Customer Question

Keep getting a "Cannot start MS Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file

Is there a way to fix the Outlook folder?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.
  1. Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool?
  2. Also, do you have a lot of old emails in your Outlook that you want to recover? The error message means your mailbox bould have been corrupted.
  3. Lastly,have you checked your Outlook.pst file in this path and see the size of the PST file? Please check it and tell me the size of the file:

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. How do I run the inbox repair tool
2. Yes I have a lot of old emails I want to recover
3. How do I check the the outlook.pst path and see the the size of the pst file

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ray,

Thank you for writing back. In order to view your PST file, the one being reported with the problem, please go to the reported path:

There you shall see the file called Outlook.pst.

Please check the size of the PST file in MB or Gigabytes. We need to know if the file is too huge now which is usually causing the problem.

Now, if you cannot follow the path because some folders are not shown, I believe you need to set your system to show hidden files and folders because by default, system files and folders are hidden.

Procedures to show hidden files are described in this link:

Please get back to me with the information about your PST file so that we can proceed to using the Inbox Repair Tool.

Keep me posted.