Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

I have a file in which I have two columns of information.

I have a file in which I have two columns of information. I want to draw a subset of information that contains all the entries in my spread sheet where the number in the first column and the number in the second column are the same for more than one row. I want the new report to contain the row where this occurs. How do I do this??
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

In order to fully understatnd your requirement, can you upload a sample or dummy Excel file to me? If this is possible, you can upload the file to the site below, no need to register there, just upload the sample Excel file:

After uploading, wait for the screen to show the download link or the 6-digit File ID. Post the File ID when you reply so that I can get your file.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just uploaded an extract of the file but I didn't put an ID number with it, did you get it?

When you upload the file in wikisend, after uploading it, the screen shall change and you shall get a download link and a 6-digit File ID.

For detailed procedures in using, please click on this link:

Then you can give me the 6-digit File ID or the download link so that I can get your sample file.

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again, the file id is 236778. In this extract I have removed the columns which show name, address etc and I have just sent you the two columns which contain the fields that I want to interrogate. Thanks

As I understood your scenario exactly, all you need to do is to use Conditional Formatting to "highlight" cells with similar entries - or shall I say - duplicates.

In order to do so, here are the steps:
  1. Open your Excel file
  2. Select the range of cells that you want to investigate for duplicates. In the sample you gave me, it is the range A2 to B19
  3. Then click on the Home tab, then under Styles group, click on Highlight Cell Rules then finally click on Duplicate values.
  4. See screen shot below:

5. In the dialog box that opens, Duplicate is pre-selected. Select the formatting style there then click OK.

Your selected ranges of cells will now be highlighted for duplicate data!

Here is the revised Excel file with conditional formatting applied: Same Cell Ph over 14 A_rev1.xlsx

I hope this helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,