Brandon M.
Brandon M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an System Administrator for law firm
12024030

I can not open Word without a message coming up: Convert File

I can not open Word without a message coming up: Convert File from Unicode Text. Then a message that Word cannot open this document template. (Microsoft Word.jpg). I have to cancel messages 4 times before I open Word. What must I do to be able to access Word immediately?

BeBoo :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be glad to assist you with your issue today. Please note that I am in eastern time (UTC -5:00) and am generally online between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM and some evenings between 7 PM and 11 PM.

BeBoo :

I am a little confused. The file extension of .jpg is actually a picture file. From what it sounds like, you may have associated picture files with Microsoft Word. Let's try something. What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

Customer:

Windows 2008. I can not delete any files to the trash either. I downloaded some files from a memory stick and that is when the problem started.

BeBoo :

Ok, are you able to open Word from the start screen?

Customer:

If you mean from the icon on my desktop, yes, after canceling the messages 4 times

BeBoo :

No, from the start screen/menu (bottom left corner of your screen)

Customer:

On my Mac I do not have a start screen/menu on the bottom left corner, however, I can open it from the Applications File without the message coming up.

BeBoo :

Ok, you said Windows 2008 so I assumed you were on a PC. You meant Word 2008. :)

Customer:

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

BeBoo :

Ok, you'll want to use that icon to launch Word (from the Applications folder). If you want a Microsoft Word icon on your desktop, find the one in the Applications folder, drag it to the dock at the bottom of your screen and let go. You should now have a Word icon down there.

Customer:

I already have an icon down there. How do I get rid of that one?

BeBoo :

Is the one that is down there the .jpg one?

Customer:

Yes

BeBoo :

Click and drag it away from the dock (about 1/2 up the screen)

BeBoo :

You should see it poof away

Customer:

It just returns to the bottom of the screen

Customer:

Sorry I had it open and when I closed it, it did go away.

BeBoo :

Might not be dragging it far enough away. The cursor should have a little "puff ball" show up

BeBoo :

Ah, good.

BeBoo :

Ok, drag the good one down there and click it to open it.

Customer:

Will the one I have dragged down be able to delete files to the trash now?

BeBoo :

What happens when you try to delete files?

Customer:

I can't drag them to the trash.

BeBoo :

Do they just snap back? When you drag them over the trashcan icon, does the trashcan get darker?

Customer:

When I click on the file and it turns green, then when I try to drag it, it doesn't even move.

BeBoo :

Are you dragging it from your desktop or from something like the Microsoft Word open dialog?

Customer:

From the Word file list

BeBoo :

Ok, that likely won't work as that is not a Finder window.

BeBoo :

Ah, it works for me. Let me see if I can reproduce.

BeBoo :

Hrm, I cannot seem to reproduce that issue. I am able to drag files to/from that window.

BeBoo :

Are you clicking and dragging on the icon or the name itself?

Customer:

It is in the Project Gallery that I am clicking on the file name and I am unable to grab it at all. Where else would I find the file in able to delete it?

BeBoo :

Ah, that is why. Try this

BeBoo :

Hold down the control key on your keyboard and click once on the file. Do you get a little menu? If so, do you have a remove or delete option?

Customer:

Nothing happens

BeBoo :

Ok, so it doesn't have any menus. Hrm. Just a sec.

BeBoo :

What is selected on the left?

Customer:

All

BeBoo :

What are you trying to remove from there? Most of them should be built-in templates. Do you have some personal ones in there

BeBoo :

?

Customer:

I guess I don't understand what you meant by the left. When I go to select a file that I want to open I click on "recent" and then "more". The Project Gallery comes up which has 2 columns: one is Date and the other is Name. Then I click on the file name twice and it opens. I and trying to delete the file that is under the Name Column. The All is under the Date Column.

Customer:

I am just trying to delete some old files that I no longer need.

BeBoo :

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for clarifying your steps. You cannot remove individual files from the recent list. These files may not even exist - it is just a list of files that you worked on previously and the date they were worked on. You can only clear the entire list.

BeBoo :

That option is under the File menu, Open Recent, then Clear List.

Customer:

Okay, but that would delete a lot of files that I do not want to delete. How do I just select one file?

BeBoo :

It doesn't actually delete the files. It just clears the list of files you recently worked on. The files are still on your hard drive, just not in that list.

Customer:

Is there a way to delete them from the hard drive?

BeBoo :

You would just need to know where they are. Typically, they are in your Documents folder unless you placed them somewhere else. You can access your documents folder easily by clicking out to your desktop, then using the Go menu, then Documents.

Customer:

Okay I will try that. Thank you. I appreciate your help. I didn't click on any membership column because I do not want to keep paying a monthly fee. Since I didn't choose one, will I automatically be billed anyway? If so, how would I cancel it.

BeBoo :

No problem, glad to help. You are not labeled as a subscriber. You will only be billed for this one question.

BeBoo :

I hope I have been helpful in today's session. It has been a pleasure working with you. Please be sure to rate the service you received today. You may also provide a tip after rating, if you feel I deserve one (thank you in advance!). Should you wish to request me in the future, you can bookmark/favorite my profile page by clicking my name on the left. Have a great rest of your day.

Customer:

Thank you! Have a great day!