Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

When I try to save pdf or xl files with a date...I get error

Customer Question

When I try to save pdf or xl files with a date...I get error messages saying something along the lines of "denied." Please help me find and fix this issue I am having when trying to save files on my Windows 7 pc.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

There are certain characters that cannot be used in a file name.

Can you use - to seperate the dates.

eg: 1-1-2013

this is should allow

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't seem to "reply" with photos attached in here for some reason.

When I try to export and save an excel worksheet (xl file)...it opens up Adobe like it was a pdf file...and then gives me an error message reading, "Adobe Reader could not open 'Sales ID-06.14.13' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

If I simply try to save it from the beginning with another character (like a 2 or A or 5) then it opens up in xl and saves fine. What is causing this???

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The file that opens in Adobe, can I see this please?

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

• File ID: 472258

Is the screenshot of what I see. I can't actually upload the file that opens in Adobe because nothing opens. But I can send you what file I was trying to open...then again that is diffrent because I am saving it with different characters and it then doesn't create this problem in the first place. I think it may have something to do with the decoding and how my os is reading or misreading it??? I am hoping you can help or at least point me in some direction. Thanks in advance.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I need to look at the actual file Lance, the one that opens in Adobe.

Can you upload it and give me the File ID

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

• File ID: 786236

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Take out the dots lance (.) and replace with - in the file name

this is the problem, only the last bit (.xls) has the dot.

Do this and Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

• File ID: 612770

Dear Rich, I was saving fine before and just want to know why it changed all of a sudden. I think I am not explaining very clearly but I hope the file will give you an idea of what I mean. Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That clears it up Lance.

The problem is you have no file extension specified. You see how it ends without the .xls

This is the problem. You might have removed it when saving by accident.

Click ONCE on it and press F2 so you can rename it.

Then at the end, put .xls

Save it and it will then open in Excel again.

Do this for both problems. When you do it you will see the icon revert back from PDF to Excel.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Thank you