Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

In excel 2003 - How do I change the date from this "10307"

In excel 2003 - How do I change the date from this "10307" (format is "general" under number). I've tried +0 to the next cell with no help. Also tried changing to text and then using the "Datevalue" function but that returns a #value.

I have 1,000's of rows with this problem and the date is critical to my task.
Hi there happy to help. The date in your example is October 3rd 2007? How do you want it displayed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10/3/2007 is the desired format

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry! Actually the date is January 3, 2007. I appears my data only has 1 digit for the Month but includes 2 digits for the day and 2 digits for the year.

Did you try my suggestion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What suggestion?

Sorry for some reason the post did not go through......see below......

Lets change your settings in control panel. Close Excel. Do the following.......

1. On the Microsoft Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double click the Regional Settings or Regional Options icon.
  3. In the Short date format list, click a format that uses four digits for the year ("yyyy").

Let me know,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is already set to a 4 digit year.

OK, then see below, it will show you how to change the format to whatever you would like in excel......

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am an intermediate to advanced excel user. That was the first thing I tried and the result = 3/20/1928 instead of 01/03/2007.

Should I send you a sample file?

Yes that might be helpful upload it to, and send me the file ID.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

• File ID: 143434

OK, I am assuming we are referring to the "Issue Date" column? How do you want the number 101206 dis[played as a date?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the issue date column highlighted in yellow is the problem. I'm trying to convert to a date format of mo/da/year

above lines should be

OK, the problem is the cells you currently have are not formatted to the property of "Date" already.

This means excel is not going to be able to translate them correctly when you change to this property.

So......what you need to do is copy the column to another location for reference......

Then change the entire Column C to the "Date" property, and format of your choosing, and then re-enter the dates manually from the reference column you copied.

Not ideal, but with the information you have in the spreadsheet this is the only way.

Please don't forget to rate me and have a great day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have 45,000 rows of data with this problem. Is there not any other way?

I tried making the dates text and then the excel function =DATEVALUE but I get an error of #name or #value.

Do you care if the property of the cell is a date or are you just looking for the proper display?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It must be a date because it will be used to determine tax due. The data will eventually be loaded into Microsoft access.

Can you send me the entire file?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are several files. I will send you one.

Does it work to use the txt to columns function and separate the last 2 digits of the year? Those could be sorted and manually keyed without too much time. But then I don't know how to put them back together into the date format.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

• File ID: 715166

ok, here is the best I can come up with..........

Select all the "06" year cells.

Do a find and replace on 06 with /2006

Next replace all 01-12 numbers on the front of the dates with 01/ for example and 12/ for example.

This may still take a little while but will be faster than manually redoing every date.

Once you have the cells in xx/xx/xxxx format, the cell should automatically be formatted to a date property.

Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can try that but will first have to separate the year from month and day. If I do a find and replace on all 06 it will also change June dates to 2006 and the 6th day of the month to 06.

Once I separate and do the find and replace, can I then format to text, cancatenate back together and then use the =datevalue function to convert text to date?

I don't think that works in 03, but you can try it. I have 2010, so I can't compare apples to apples with you.

My best suggest is to search and replace what you can a fix manually from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a computer with excel 2007 - any other options there?

Same, find and replace.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there another expert who might have another idea?

I can opt out if you would like.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your efforts, but yes, I would like to try someone else please.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

I read your whole conversation with my fellow expert and I also downloaded the sample files that you shared.

Give me a moment while I work on the solution of this problem.

I will keep you posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for patiently waiting!

Please click on this download link to see the file I created. I worked on the last file you shared, the one named TEST File.

You do not need a formula to convert the numbers into dates in your scenario. The reason for this is because the numbers are in real date format, the only missing part is the slash to make it like 10/10/2012.

Here are the steps to create the file I gave you:
  1. Select the starting date for the Issue Date column
  2. Then press Shift+Ctrl+Arrow Down to select all the dates all the way down
  3. Click on DATA menu
  4. Click "Text to columns"
  5. Select "Delimited" then click on Next (already selected by default)
  6. Select Tab then click Next (already selected by default)
  7. Select Date MDY then click Finish
  8. Here is my screen shot:

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YEAH!! What a simple fix. Greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you for the rating and the generous tip!

If you need assistance in the future, you can request me. Or you can post a new question saying "For jessmagz" so that I can help you immediately.

Best regards,