Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

How do I standardize my program so that all spreadsheets show

Customer Question

How do I standardize my program so that all spreadsheets show the location on my computer where the file is located?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Sorry I do not understand 100%

Do you mean you want to see all files in one place?

Or when you click Start, Computer, you want all the views to be the same?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I would like the footer to have the location stated on my server where the excel file is located eg L:\clients\tax\Smith\rental expenses.xls

I would like it to be setup so that it is on every spreadsheet so that we know where to look for the file.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thanks

Then on the spreadsheet you need to add this to the footers.

In Excel, click Header and Footer on the View menu.

In the Page Setup dialog box, click Custom Footer,

Place the insertion point in the header or footer section that you want: left section, center section, or right section.

Type the following line:

&[Path]

Click OK twice to close the dialog boxes and return to the worksheet.

This will then display the path in the footer.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have spreadsheets located in different places on my server. I would
like a footer on each file showing where on my system that the spreadsheet can
be located. e.g. L:\2008\data\smith.a\billing.xls

That is how it would normally look at the bottom of the page. I want this
to appear on every page. I don't want to have to have an employee try and
remember how to do it every time they make a spreadsheet.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, then you need to alter the Book Template.

On the computer, look for the file Book.xlt

Open it and add the Footer to this with the instructions I gave.

Save this and everytime they make a new excel file, it will have this footer.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for providing the place to put the footer for a spreadsheet. I want however to have this as a default so that it is always in place so that I don't have to set up the footer each time. I know how to do it individually. The objective is to not have to train 20 people to do it each time.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
I just explained how to do it so it appears as default in Excel Daniel.

Save this and everytime they make a new excel file, it will have this automatically as the footer.