Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

My scenario is : I would like to copy an existing database

My scenario is : I would like to copy an existing database program with all the data within and copy, paste to another computer likewise to an external storage device for later retrievalI have tried to do the normal copy, paste but realised that only the program has been copied but not the data making ot hard for me the data is what I need to create a new database program will take time off which I do not have.

My question is what would be the shortest and fastest way to copy all the database management program?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Can you please tell me which Database program you are referring to?

Microsoft Access?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Logs database management program
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to Welllog Bryan?

http://www.welllog.ca/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure? This program is called foxprow.. Its has all the required data that I need instead of creating a new one
ie. log spices, sizes etc
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it is Foxpro for windows.

So you want to backup the program settings Bryan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes what I have done so far is copy the program but does not seem to have the required database I want. It shows an blank program prompting me to create a new database
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you need to copy your database file to the other computer.

Then open the database in Foxpro.

Do you know where you are saving your Database on the other computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I copy the database? I can open foxprow but with no data. Can you give me some command so I can use the dos-command prompt to copy the full program plus the data than copy, paste to another computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you copy the data file.

On the old computer, look for your Data file. It will have an extension

.dbf

Copy this to the other computer and open it within Foxpro.

This file is what contains your data.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would you know the command to copy all the files using dos command prompt ie. The program is on c:\ drive and I want to copy to e:\ drive
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, it is

copy c:\path to file\database file.dbf e:\path to desitnation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok now I want to copy all the files and the program associated with foxprow to another computer using dos, what is the command?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, in DOS go to the Folder you want to copy TO

so if E:\Folder type

e:

then type

cd folder

Then the command to copy the folder to it is

xcopy c:\Folder /e

This would copy c:\Folder to e:\Folder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok that I have tried but it only seems to copy the program but not the data that has already been created in the previous existing database program. Do you have any other options available for me? What am really interested in is the existing database which would make it more easier instead of creating it all over again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Did you copy over the dbf file as I originally asked?

This is what has the data in it.

I gave you the commands to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I have tried copying the dbf file and tried opening with foxprow program but it doesn't seem to open so am stuck what if I do a complete backup of all the files and setting from the old computer will this work?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The file should open...

But if you restore the backup on the other computer, that also will work.

Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues