Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have two questions that are related to operations that I

I have two questions that are related to operations that I was attemting yesterday. I was trying to download 'Microsoft Office professional Plus 2010 iso version. I downloaded and installed the free version of Utorent ver 3.3. While doing this each time I tried downoading it would put me over to various download utilities and a lot of Malware was installed on my computer. Using SpyHunter I found and removed over 1500 infections. Plus I deleted a number of applications that were installed. Internet Explorer 8 kept shutting down I am running Windows 7 Pro SP1. when I tried to access Just Answer I received an error message ' Microsoft Outlook - YThis operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. I asked Google and was sent to Microsoft and advised to run KB 310049 which allowed me to access Just answer. Sorry this is so long. Now whenever the computer is turned on, the CPU activty light is flashing and the Internet & Ethernet lights are fast flashing continuously as if I still have and infection.. Can you help me find the problem. this was not normal beform my download attempts.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear what happened to your computer.

I am going to give you some general things to try but since I do not know the exact infection you may or may not have we will have to see how it turns out.

I am going to provide you with some free tools that you will need to use as well.

First download the following programs and install.

Download Revo Uninstaller at the following site:
http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=dre

Just click the green download button on the left hand side.

Next download Malwarebytes antimalware:

Click on the following link. On the page click download latest version on the top right.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Once you download and install both of those do the following.

Restart your computer, as soon as it begins to restart keep tapping the F8 key on the keyboard.

When you get to a prompt choose safe mode with networking.

Next click start and choose control panel and choose uninstall a program under programs.

Next when the list of programs shows click on the top of the installed on column to sort the programs in order of most recently installed as shown in this picture below.

graphic

Basically what you want to do is uninstall anything that was installed on the day of or after the incident that you do not remember installing. These may be things like pc cleaning programs, download managers, tool bars.

If a program wont un-install you can open the Revo uninstaller program I gave you and remove it with that. Some of these can be very difficult to remove which is why I gave you that.

After you uninstall the programs that were installed you need to do a scan with malwarebytes.

Open the program and do a full scan (This may take up to an hour or longer in some cases). After it's done, press ok, then click the show results button in the lower right.

On the next screen, check all the boxes and then press the remove selected button to remove any infections that it found.

Once finished reboot into normal mode and open malwarebytes and do one more quick scan. If it is showing infections still then you likely have more issues so make note of what infections it tells you that you have and you can report back to me with that information.

Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

since I am going to restart the computer as part of this fix, how do I get back to you?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
You should have a link back to me in your email. Also you can just return to justanswer.com and click my questions on the top right. I will only be online for another 30 minutes this evening but if you need help I will reply back as soon as I can in the morning.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris

Getting back to you following up on your assistance. Everything worked Great.

I have another question on how to install and use torrents and Internet Explorer. I downloaded and installed the free version but could not get things to work. Any on-line tutorials did not seem to apply. That is how I got in the trouble that you helped me with. Let me know if you can help. Do I need to buy a copy of utorrent?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

You do not install torrents, just so you know a torrent is basically a file that locates pieces of a file around the internet and allows you to download it from different sources.

Utorrent is a free a program you can download here:
http://www.utorrent.com/

Utorrent does have a search built in to find torrents but usually the way it is doneis you find a website that has the torrent files, you then download the torrent and open it. It will open in the utorrent program and begin to download, if whatever you trying to download is available.

Torrents are populat for illegal downloading of software, movies and music by the way and are plagued with viruses and infections not to mention and can get you arrested. I would suggest you never download something that is not already free. You are not anonymous and you can be found for downloading through torrents so my advice would be to not take the chance.

Torrents of course also have legitimate use as well, it all depends what you are trying to download.

So really all you need to do to get utorrent working is download and install it. Next download a torrent file from someplace and open the torrent, by default it will open in utorrent.

Have a look here for more info:
http://www.utorrent.com/help/guides/beginners-guide

Also here is a video on using it that may help, it explains it well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqjTPtTh5dk

Again many websites that have torrent files are loaded with viruses and also get shut down often due to illegal files that can be accessed through them so make sure you are very careful and never download anything that would normally cost money.

One more thing, you should be very careful what you click on online. Maybe websites run advertisments on their pages that look they are part of the page. You may be trying to download something but instead of clicking on the actual file download link you click on an ad that says downloaded and get loaded up with infections before you know it so be careful.

I am not sure what you meant about internet explorer, there is no connection between using torrents and internet explorer. Just you know internet explorer is about the worst browser you can use in my opinion. It comes standard on every windows computer so it is a big target. I would suggest you use mozilla firefox or google chrome.

Glad we could fix the infections, be careful with the torrents, the websites that have them are amongst the darkest on the internet and do not download anything illegal.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris

Do you know of a utility to recover the e-mail Password XXXXX Outlook. I have to re-install Office and I want to be sure that I have the account password XXXXX it gets lost in the process.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Yeah I actually do :)

This program can be a bit tricky to run because your antivirus may detect it as a virus and not let you run it. Make sure if that happens you choose to run it anyway and you may need to shut your antivirus off.

Ho to the following link:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

Scroll all the way down the page and click the link that says ...
Download Mail PassView With Install/Uninstall Support (mailpv_setup.exe)

Once you run it , it will show you a screen with the saved passwords within Outlook that it can find.

If you have trouble please let me know.

Thank You
-Chris

Chris L., Support Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris

I have a friend using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010. He has a problem with power point. For most of his power Point files, he has the following problem.

qui5te often, if He is adding or revising test on a slide, the test does not appear until several keystokes later then I will suddenly appear. Also in the Slide pane on the left side of the screen, the slides are not displayed or are displayed in order. Then suddenly they will appear. sometimes in order and sometimes not. Then things will appear to work correctly for a short while.

I have re-installed office but this did not help.

Also any advise on a good supplier to buy a full version of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010. I ran into a problem where the installation will not accept the product key that he has.

It is 9:00AM my time. I will be here until 10:00AM and away until about 6:00PM.

Can you help?

Reg Laprise

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Reg,

I am so sorry about the delay. I work a full time job aside from answering questions on here so I was busy with that.

As for the power point issue. It sounds like your friends computer is low on RAM (memory) or resources so it is lagging when they make the power point change.

I would suggest when they work on power point they keep no other programs open and turn off any un-needed programs that are automatically starting up on the computer.

Try this.

Click start and in the search or run box type msconfig and press enter. The system configuration utility will start. Click on the start up tab and disable everything except for anything having to do with the wireless card if there is one.

Next reboot the computer and see if power point responds any better.

If this is a large power point document with a lot of large images or movies , the bigger it gets the more of the computers resources it will need which could be why it is slowing down.

I wouldn't buy office again if you have the key. Make sure you are typing the key correctly and it is the proper key for the software. If you are sure that it is there could be an issue so before buying office which is a few hundred dollars give microsoft a call at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand see if they can help get you a working key.

I will be available again around 7:30pm EST if you need more help.

Thanks so much and I hope you are doing well.
-Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris

No problem with the delay. I was out working and just got home at 6:00PM. I don't think hardware resources is an issue. He hasN intel 2.8 gigaherts i7 860 CPU with 8GB of RAM. He does not use a wireless card , Hardwired to his router. The PP presentation is only 16 slides in size but the problem presents itself over a number of PP files. A few work OK. I don't know if there could be a corruption somewhere isn his data files.

The other problem with his office disc is that the company he works for does not seem to keep good records. He did not have a backup DVD and the one that they gave him last week gives an error message that the product key that we found using Belarc Direct will not work with this disk or with serveral other dvd's that I have tried. I uninstalled and re-installed office and now I can not activate it. I did the re-install thinking that there was a problem with Powerpoint. Now I am having a problem trying to find a version with a Product key to get him back up and running.

I did not check MSConfig (I have used it before) I will check it tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

If possible can you get me a copy of the power point file?

If you can get a copy you can upload it onto www.wikisend.com and provide me with a link to download.

Basically I want to see if the file has this same behavior on another computer because if it does we will know it is something with the file itself and not their installation of power point.

You are probably correct though that the computer has plenty of resources to handle this task.

I wouldnt even bother with msconfig unless the computer seems very slow in all programs and starting up.

I cannot seem to find any other case of this in the way you are describing but it is possible I am misunderstanding the issue.

If you can upload the file for me to check out OR try opening that file on another computer and see if it bahaves in the same way.

Let me know.
-Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris

Here is the download link:

http://wikisend.com/download/394712/memory PowerPoint lecture.pptx

forum Link

memory PowerPoint lecture.pptx

I have tried it on my computer and did not see any problem.

Any other ideas?

Reg

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Reg,

So what exactlly am I looking for?

When I make changes the changes do not show up right away? Is that what is happening to your friend?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On my friends computer, if you tried to edit text on a slide, you could enter a number of characters and nothing would happen for serveral seconds and then the new test would suddenly appear.

When viewing the slides on the left hand list, The slides would not be in order and the slide # XXXXX not be displayed. The slides would be displayed randomly and then as you moved from slide to slide, would suddenly show in order but the first slide would appear again at the bottom of the list. Then if you moved to another slide the list on the left side would get jumbled up again but eventually correct itself.

I have MS office professional plus 2010 on my computer and I do not see any problem.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
I also am not seeing any problem so it looks like we have pinpointed to his machine.

It could be another programming interrfering in some way possibly antivirus or something like that.

This is one of those types of problems that can take a lot of troubleshooting to resolve.

Heres a couple of tests.

Try typing in other programs such as word or notepad and see if it only happens in power point.

If it does they may have add one installed in power point causing the issue.

Close power point , hold down the CTRL button and click the power point icon and it will ask to start in safe mode. Say yes. If the issue is resolved in safe mode there is an add in causing the issue.

In 2010 version click file options and add ins. In the box that opens click Go next to where it says com add in and then uncheck the boxes next to each add in.

Try that and let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please clarify:

In Paragraph 6, did you mean - 'they may have an add ins installed in power point'?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Yes exactly. There are different add ins that can be installed in office programs. Sometimes they cause weird issue.

Try power point in safe mode first though. In safe mode no add ons will be loaded so if it works better you know its an add in causing the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris

Sorry to be so long getting back to you but I had to wait to see my friend. I tried going into safe mode in Power Point . that did not help.. I checked the add-ins. There was only one - Acrobat PDFMaker Office.com. I disabled it with no change.

I changed the compatiblity mode to Windows XP SP2. That resolved most of thwe issues. The only thing it does is not instantly put slides in order first time. No problem editing and slide numbers are displayed in the left panel. When you move to a new slide , it takes a few seconds for the order to appear correctly some times. any other ideas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris

I have discovered an issue with my computer. I am running Win 7 Pro SP1 with Internet explorer 8. Afew weeks ago Micorsoft installed IE10. I did not like it and ininstalled IE10 and re-installed IE8.

Since then I have discovered that flash player 11 does not work. I have re-installed Flash player serveral times, I have used the uninstall utility and re-installed Flash player. every time I try to play a video from the internet, I get the prompt that I dont have Flash Player installed. do you know how to fix this.

Reg Laprise

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Reg,
Sorry for the delay, I was offline when you replied.

As for your friends issue, I am not sure what is going on. We have tried everything I could think of and without actually checking the computer out myself I am not sure what could be going on.

As for your flash player issue, first off you really shouldn't be using IE8. IE8 is very old and you are going have to problems if you keep using it. The reason is when websites update themselves they no longer bother to make the website compatible with IE8 due to it's age. For example Gmail no longer supports IE8.

One thing you can try is clearing your IE8 cache.

Select Tools and choose Internet Options.

Click on the General tab and then the Delete... button.

Check all of the boxes except for saved passwords and click delete again.

I would also suggest you start using a new web browser like google chrome which is much better than internet explorer and has a lot less problems. You can download it at google.com/chrome

If you have more problems though with internet explorer please open a new question and we can work on it. Just type "For Chris Shores" only in your question and I will help you out.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist