Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

How do I control the order that folders display in within a

How do I control the order that folders display in within a document library in SharePoint 2010?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

The folder order is correct, when you edit the list, you can set the value for each of the cells in the column.

What is stopping you from doing this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I am in the Library tab and click on Datasheet view, and try to enter a value, I get an error message that the field is read only

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks

Go into the list settings.

Select the list column and double click on it to expose the column settings.

Specify the text to allow as "Plain text".

Click ok to save the settings.

Then try to edit it.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since I am in a Document Library, the tab at the top is for Library, not List. If I click on Library Settings and then click under Content Types on my Order Folder Column, I don't see anywhere to set it to "Plain Test"

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
how did you create the Column?

In this method

1. Go to Site Actions
2. Go to Site Settings
3. Go to Site Content Types
4. Click Create New
5. Give it a name such as Folder Order
6. Select Parent Content Type from as of Folder Content Types
7. Select Folder as the Parent Content Type
8. You can create a new group or leave it in custom content types
9. Click OK
10. At the content type settings click Add from new site column
11. Create a site column called Item Order or something similar, select the type as Number
12. Click OK
13. Go to the list where you want the folders to be ordered
14. Go to the list settings
15. Go to Advanced Settings
16. Select allow management of content types
17. Select No for display new folder command on the new menu
18. Click OK
19. You should now see an area called content types, leave the document as is
20. Click Add from existing site content types
21. Select the Folder Order (or whatever you named it)
22. Click OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want the content type added to a Library, not a List. When I click on Library Settings and then Advanced Settings, I do see the question "Allow Management of Content Types" with Yes/No radio button.

I do not see choice called "Display New Folder command on the new menu." I do see a choice of "Make new folder command available" Yes/No. That's the closest I see.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can only do it as a list Sue, not a Library.

Else, for a Library, you need to change the folder names and sort by this.

Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. I did state I was trying to order folders in a document library, not a list. I would have appreciated knowing before I tried all the steps, which I had already done several times today, that SharePoint 2010 does not have the capability to order folders within a document library other than by folder name